Birds eating more chillies than I am

I'm having the worst time with the birds this year. As soon as one chilli starts to ripen from green, the birds go for it. Then they see the other green pods and have a peck at them too. They never eat the whole pod, just enough to ruin it for me.

I've tried picking the chillies before they ripen and ripening them indoors, but my scotch bonnets tend to wilt before they turn orange that way. I have to pick my white habs while they're still yellow too. Any tips? I don't want to have to resort to netting because it's ugly, but I may have to if this continues. Should I place each pod in a bag on the plant to stop the birds getting at it?

Thanks in advance!

Well, birds like peppers and they eat it because they are hungry/thirsty..they can't just go to the store to buy everything they need. So mr Lance, I hope every time your neighbor doesn't like you, will keep shooting at you with an air rifle. Instead of hurting them, give them water and something to eat! I'm not a bird expert but I'm sure you will find the right method ;) google is your friend.

Yeah what we do is leave some bread out usually on the flat parts of the roof. The birds love it. You can then applu a netting over your plants. Like how they do on fig trees

I think mosquito netting would help. It seems like a good idea to try to feed them so they leave the peppers alone. Maybe a bird feeder would be a good idea. Bread isn't good for them as someone already mentioned.

flashy reflector tape like -
http://www.groworganic.com/bird-scare-tape-rainbow-500-roll.html
rainbow or red/silver  Cherry orchards in our area use (TONS) of this.  Usually the red/silver.

plastic owl or snakes- move them around every other day so the birds don't get used to them on one place

black silhouette of a cat- move around like ^^^

netting

In an extreme situation, the orchards here also use Sound.  A blaring speaker with varying sounds like sirens, booms, animal howls, etc.   (might want to check with the neighbors before employing this technique ;) )

Putting bread or seeds away from there would sure help a bit. And put mint on the pods. Birds are immune to cap, but not the inverse of it.

Back