• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Bit of everything sauce

I about finished doing my shopping in the supermarket today and heard them announce cut price fruit and vegies. I was the first one there and they had a big trolley full of stuff about to go off and it was $3 for as much as you could stuff into a plastic bag. Couldn't help myself and got 15 paprikas, 5 big capsicums (bell peppers), lemons, limes, some tomatoes, 3 fennel bulbs plus a bunch of other stuff. Time to make some sauce :D

Started with a few red onions and garlic
boesauce001.jpg

Deseeded and cut up all the paprikas, capsicums, fennel. Plus some carrots and celery.
boesauce002.jpg

Let all that sweat for a while then added a pineapple, mango, pawpaw some kiwi fruit.
boesauce003.jpg

Out of the freezer an innocent little bag of trinidad scorpions.
boesauce004.jpg

The juice of 3 limes and 2 lemons plus some vinegar and water.
boesauce005.jpg

After a taste I decided it need a bit more spice so added some bhut jolokias
boesauce006.jpg

Let it all simmer for a while then stab blended
boesauce007.jpg

Simmer some more..
boesauce008.jpg

Transferred it to the big blender and back for a simmer. Forgot to photograph that bit.

Then filled up every jar I had!
boesauce010.jpg

Got some more left over I've got to use up quick. Can for scale.
boesauce013.jpg

It tastes really really hot so that you don't get much of the other flavours except vinegar :P There is a very mellow fruity aftertaste though. Have to see how this one ages.

Was going to be a Bit of Everything Sauce but halfway through I started thinking how I could have added apples or mandarins or some herbs and spices so its going to have to just be another sauce.

Back