• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bitter melon!

This stuff is definitely an acquired taste, but once you are hooked you will crave that bitter flavor.
1) The trellis. In another month the whole top side will be overgrown
2) A few gourds hanging
3) Whaaaa?! The ripe pods split open like this on their own. Don't get too close or the alien will eat your face.
bitter_trellis.jpg
bittermellon.jpg
bitter_exploded.jpg

Very cool!!
My Asian neighbor grows these on the fence that divides our gardens every year!
I have never wanted to try one! but they look cool and grow like mad!!!
I pick the ones on my side to give to him once they are big enough.
They do look seriously cool when they explode!! and the birds love the red seeds!
Looks great man!

:cool:
Kevin

WoW.. i thought my 7 plants were a lot.. but that is by far insane... all those look like they are ready to be harvested... haha that orange one i take it you let ripen for seeds..... awesome.. ran out of seeds.. hope mine fruit...keep us updated

denniz

[sup]I also grow these but they are no where near as developed as yours. The first flowers have just appeared[/sup]
[sup]
2v29md4.jpg
[/sup]
[sup]It is my first year growing these so I am not sure what type of bitter melon they will become. You have quite a few growing there you must really love them :)[/sup]
[sup]Are they all for your own consumption?[/sup]

Once they really get going we will be pulling in 3-4 a day. I like them, and my mother-in-law is like a bitter melon eating machine but there is no way to keep up at the peak. She usually gives away a bunch to her friends. These are mostly the chinese type, but we have a few of the indian variety as well. I like them sliced and sauteed with scrambled egg. serve with some rice and a couple fresh peppers and I call that lunch. She also makes a soup out of the tender leaves at the tips that really pushes the limit for bitterness, but good!

Wow, that's a lot of bitter melon. The only way I can eat it is slicing it thinly and fry it with cherry
tomatoes & peppers, and then the scrambled egg. I know it's a very healthy veggie. Don't have
any this year. :cry:

That trellis you built looks awesome. Bitter melon stir fried with pork and hot thai chillis is one of my favorites. They're really inexpensive where I live so I've never needed to grow them.

Back