• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bizarre Orange Habs

I have 2 other plants that appear to be producing NORMAL shaped pods...and then there's this one. I guess I'll see what happens when they ripen.
Jerry
9GrZUcv.jpg
2Wb0yuK.jpg

Shurbryn said:
That's a really cool looking pod. Was this from seed purchased from a vendor?
No it was from a seed donation...the thing is the other seeds germinated at the same time look normal, so I'm assuming this one is a cross.
Guess I'll see what happens when they ripen. :)
Jerry

Possibly a cross, but possibly just another kind of chile altogether - it's not entirely uncommon for seeds to get mixed up.

Yeah, that's the Orange Blob. Hairy stems and the backside of the leaves. Really bushy growth, wide but not a tall plant. Heat is lower then a Habanero, but fruity aroma.

My motherplant two years.
IMAG1918.jpg

Before I named it Orange Blob I tagged as unknown Chinense.
IMAG0560_.jpg

Some sort of c. annuum or cross. The leaves are too narrow to be c. chinese and they only have 1 pod per node. It's possible it's a c. annuum x c. chinese cross. Perhaps an orange hab crossed with a Jamaican mushroom. Do they have an orange habanero flavor? Very interesting plant btw.

Dulac said:
Some sort of c. annuum or cross. The leaves are too narrow to be c. chinese and they only have 1 pod per node. It's possible it's a c. annuum x c. chinese cross. Perhaps an orange hab crossed with a Jamaican mushroom. Do they have an orange habanero flavor? Very interesting plant btw.

Yes, they do have an fruity aroma like an Orange Hab but less strong, also some other layers which I can't describe. How would you explain the hairy stems? Not a lot of varieties have that trait.

meatfreak said:

Yes, they do have an fruity aroma like an Orange Hab but less strong, also some other layers which I can't describe. How would you explain the hairy stems? Not a lot of varieties have that trait.

Hab x goats weed??

meatfreak said:

I didn't notice the hairy stems. I'm not sure what it's crossed with now. However, I think the hair is from an annuum. I don't know of any that would give you that shape mixed with a habanero or a Scotch bonnet. The hairy ones are usually small.

Donnie said:
From the slightly fuzzy stems I would say Orange Blob.
I think you're right. The pics I've looked up resemble OP's pepper. Very cool cross!

AaronRiot said:

Hab x goats weed??

That wouldn't explain the shape or growth habit. There are more Annuum that have hairs like the Serrano pepper, Jalapeno Farmers Market Potato. I have no idea what the parents are, but it's an unique variety for sure!

Dulac said:

I didn't notice the hairy stems. I'm not sure what it's crossed with now. However, I think the hair is from an annuum. I don't know of any that would give you that shape mixed with a habanero or a Scotch bonnet. The hairy ones are usually small.

Yeah, never saw or heard of a hairy Chinense so it must be Annuum. Was thinking of Baccatum first also.

Back