• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Black dots on my seeds?

Hi guys, I am having some problem with my Bhut Jolokia seeds. I went to check them today and they had these black dots on them as you can see in the image. None of my other seeds have these though. Does anyone know what they are?

WuJqADM.jpg

Agreed with the mold prognosis. You could try re-soaking them in a mild bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution for half a day and try getting them to germinate again but there is a good chance the seeds will need to be restarted.

Try distilled water next time. Wash your hands and clean the seeds with hydrogen peroxide first though. Don't be afraid to change the paper towel out a few times too. Once the mold starts, it doesn't go away.

mold, im not sure that i would try to re-use these seeds though at the risk of having this mold progress into something that could spread down the road to other plants, ruining your entire grow for 2013.

Try to save a few molded seeds VS mold progressing and effecting your entire grow.

My opinion, its mold, trash them and keep a close eye on the other seeds from this same lot.

also, you should treat your seeds prior to germing if you dont already with diluted bleach/water or hydro perox mix.

dustin's right, once mold is started, getting rid of it is practically impossible.

Yeah, it's mold. I'm sure it has killed the seeds. It can't hurt to try any suggestions though. My entire seedstock for my cayennes got moldy last year (must of had some moisture in there). It was a white sort of mold. It killed the germination rates. I planted about 50 of them in hopes I didn't loose my cayennes. I got about 5 or so to germinate and tossed the rest. I replenished my seedstock, so you never know. Those plants were healthy and never had issues from the mold. It's good for the plants to fight off mold (tells you which ones are stronger). I have mold here and there (from bad potting soil this year) and just let it be. I figure if they are strong enough to fight mold, then they are good plants.

Edit: Mold somehow got on one of my plants in aerogarden. It started when it was a seedling. I let it fight the mold until it ate throw the main stem and the plant fell over. It was just about to give me fruit at that point, lol. I cut it above where the mold ate throw and threw it in soil to clone it. It's making a good recovery now and is strong :) .

IMO we shouldn't baby them. I take the Nietzsche aphorism "what doesn't destroy me makes me stronger" to heart. You also gotta remember peppers are strong SOBS. They surprise me a lot with their survival of the elements, lol. I thought that seedling was doomed from the mold, but it kept pushing on to the flowering stage. It surprised me again by growing new roots after being butchered without any hormones.

You're using the damp paper towel method right?

I've checked seeds that failed to germinate in coco coir and found some that were slightly moldy. I put a few drops of H202/water mix and have had some germinate. Like Millman says never give up.

Back