• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Black Eggs on my plants

I recently found some black eggs on one of my plants. They reminded me of lady bugs eggs only black and they hatched what looks like tiny lady bugs, but I believed all ladybugs started out as larvae. Any help?

Beetles hatch as larvae, so definitely not lady beetles. What do the eggs look like? Pics? Are they neatly organized oblong, barrel-shaped things? If so, they may be some king of bug - like a stinkbug. You should ID them. They may be a pest.

If they already look like lady bugs they could be any number of leaf beetle larvae, which are bad news.  Pics would help.  So would actual lady bugs :)

I found black eggs on a pepper plant last week.  They were arranged just like lady bug eggs but were black.  I checked the next day and they were hatched.....with what looked exactly like lady bug larvae.  I wonder if the eggs looked black because of the color of the larvae inside them and so close to hatching.  I purchased 1500 ladybugs a couple of weeks back for the greenhouse aphid problem.  I took out all of my overwinters already and that plant was one of the OWs.

There is a beetle that looks much like a ladybug but is not, and it is harmful to plants. One of the big differences is the "social" habit - about the only time you will find "swarms" of ladybugs is when the weather is cold and they huddle together. Otherwise, you might find a few ladybugs on a plant, but not masses of them. This other ladybug-mimic, however, is frequently found en masse on plants. Get rid of them.

geeme said:
There is a beetle that looks much like a ladybug but is not, and it is harmful to plants. One of the big differences is the "social" habit - about the only time you will find "swarms" of ladybugs is when the weather is cold and they huddle together. Otherwise, you might find a few ladybugs on a plant, but not masses of them. This other ladybug-mimic, however, is frequently found en masse on plants. Get rid of them.
What is this other beetle u speak of? I have these lady bug beetles that are red, but no spots... Are these just lady bugs with no spots? Or the lady bug mimic?

Geeme,  are you talking about the Kudzu Bug?  We have a million of them down here this year.  Has anyone noticed any damage from them?

After keeping an eye on the "mini lady bugs" for a couple of days i noticed their color changing to bronze and black. I decided it was best to remove them, so i relocated them- into the ground!

Back