• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pics Black Garlic Sauce

Been some time since I posted here, but back at it again with a fermented Hab and Scotch bonnet sauce finished with a copious amount of black garlic.

Been a decent side hustle for me the last decade or so, but this is a first with the addition of black garlic. Most all is sold, unfortunately.

Unlike most here, I don't like face melting hot, so this one is tingly and forehead sweat worthy (if you're not insane ;) )

Ferment went well with the addition of garlic. Ph was 3.25 and 3.5 at bottling. I did add a fair amount of fresh habanadas, too for body, I found at a local farmers market at the finish, along with the black garlic. I hot smoked the mash for a mere hour with apple wood, just to bring out the flavors without overpowering the black garlic. Has that forward fruitiness from the fruit, and umami smokiness with a touch of sweetness.

I really should invest in a bigger stainless stock pot as both pots pictured were walked-in in the moment using a gram scale with all the robot couped ingredients. Lots of dishes now! :ugh:

I also decided not to xanthum this sauce as it was already thick with a low Ph. Vitamix keeps it homogenous for bottling, and I can't think of a time i ever didn't shake a bottle even if it had an emulsion/stabilizer.

Ex 20yr Exec Chef turned health inspector (now food safety lead for a major grocer), so hopefully all goes well!

5CetAne.jpg

ZGLkDJg.jpg

Yzpq5tn.jpg

Last edited:
I made some black garlic last fall and am about to do another batch. I haven't used the black garlic in anything other than a spicy cocktail sauce and some dry rub seasoning. Both turned out good. Your sauce sounds great and your peppers are some I have ripening now.
Did you smoke the mash after fermentation? Or was it just the peppers?

I made some black garlic last fall and am about to do another batch. I haven't used the black garlic in anything other than a spicy cocktail sauce and some dry rub seasoning. Both turned out good. Your sauce sounds great and your peppers are some I have ripening now.
Did you smoke the mash after fermentation? Or was it just the peppers?

I did smoke the mash, ligutly for about an hour with apple, as i'm also smoking a brisket currently... makes for an all day event in the kitchen, but why start the smoker? Lol

Live in Sacramento and during the summer we run 78F throughout the house for savings, so I let the brine go for 3 weeks, then put the 1gal jars w/airlocks in the refrigerator until i could find time to build in the coming weeks (3 weeks later). Plus I noticed just a minimal amount of kahms, so figured it was time.

The overall ratio of home grown scotch bonnet, habanero, banana, shishito, and jalapeño was 1:1 with some bags of peeled garlic I bought, so knew it needed more fruit. So I linked up with a farmers market grower I just so happened to be at next to one of my grocery stores, and noticed she had habanadas... I asked if she had more than the pound I bought, and she said she'd have 3# next week with my name on it if I arrive early. I did not smoke or ferment the black garlic because of the sugar content, or the habanadas... Added both as fresh. I added about .5gal of dry rice vinegar because the sauce was too thick, and I happen to like a bit of vinegar in my sauce, even thought I could have added water with the original 3.25Ph reading. There was just under 2# of black garlic, so overall garlic heavy, even though black garlic doesn't quite give that profile.

About 30% garlic overall to peppers, including the black. No oil. No blistering or sauté... Garlic and oil mediums always scare me even though i'm doing everything right. Just like to be cautious.

I yielded about 72 5oz woozies, and even made a few hotter at the very end for buyers.

Last edited:
Wow, Thanks for some of the details. This will be a first attempt adding black garlic to a hot sauce.
I have smoked peppers and added to fermented mash but haven't ever smoked the mash. I'm waiting for peppers to ripen up but trying to make some plans for some batches over the next couple months.

The habanadas are new to me but have a plant that is loaded. My wife can't tolerate heat so my plan is to make something she might enjoy. We both like garlic and your version certainly has plenty of that.

You have given me a few ideas and appreciate the suggestions. I'm guessing the black garlic added back some sweetness and eliminated the need for any added sugar.

We just harvested our elephant and regular garlic, and the plan is to make up a mixed batch of black. We found the black elephant garlic was amazing last year. It will be fun to incorporate with some your sauce ideas.
Thank you!

Wow, Thanks for some of the details. This will be a first attempt adding black garlic to a hot sauce.
I have smoked peppers and added to fermented mash but haven't ever smoked the mash. I'm waiting for peppers to ripen up but trying to make some plans for some batches over the next couple months.

The habanadas are new to me but have a plant that is loaded. My wife can't tolerate heat so my plan is to make something she might enjoy. We both like garlic and your version certainly has plenty of that.

You have given me a few ideas and appreciate the suggestions. I'm guessing the black garlic added back some sweetness and eliminated the need for any added sugar.

We just harvested our elephant and regular garlic, and the plan is to make up a mixed batch of black. We found the black elephant garlic was amazing last year. It will be fun to incorporate with some your sauce ideas.
Thank you!

No added sugar needed but all personal preference and based on the amount of black garlic added. I like my fermented sauces to be somewhat dry.

Haha I had deleted my post because I figured it out. 😏

Back