Black jalapeños

I know I should have pics. I'm on my phone and having problems downloading. Some of my jalapeños are black at some spots. They are not soft or rotting. The pod is completely normal other than the skin is black and not green. Pods are still on plant so I'm not sure what the inside looks like. The pod is firm at the black spots and seems healthy. Has anyone else come across this. I will continue to try to upload some pics.

To be more descriptive I would say the black areas are splotches rather than spots.

Are all the spots on sides that get hit with sun? Sounds like sunburn but you'd have to supply pics for any real answer.

I grew four Jalapeno plants last year and majority of the peppers looked black... but that could of been from the sun...

i have black "shoulders" on my jalapenos. there is a strain of jalapeno called "black jalapeno" that was bred to be more black, or so i have read. i wouldn't worry about it. it's perfectly normal from my experience.

Its absolutely normal, so don't worry. Pods will still ripen to red. Its just anthocyanin pigment protecting the plant/pods from strong UV ray. Sort of a sun-tan for plants, not a sunburn

Its absolutely normal, so don't worry. Pods will still ripen to red. Its just anthocyanin pigment protecting the plant/pods from strong UV ray. Sort of a sun-tan for plants, not a sunburn
+1
Black is fine. If you get brown, mushy spots you have sunscald.

I am actually growing Black Jalapenos. The flowers are purple but my normal jalapenos always have black marks as stated above when they ripen.

black_jalapeno.JPG

Back