• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Black leaves, droop, wilt, leafcurl?

Things went downhill fast after transplanting last week. Watering from bottom using cap mats. Some transplanted into peat pots, others into plastic trays. No name potting soil, probably a little too much wood. Using 4X1900 lumens 4' CFLs about 3-5 inches above top of plants. These were vigorous, leggy seedlings last weekend when I transplanted. I don't get it.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

Looks like sunburn to me. Wont hurt em.

You sure the cap mat is getting enough water to the roots? Try watering 1 of the droopy ones by putting it in a small dish filled with water and let it soak it up. See what happens...if it perks up then you know not enough water is the issue.

They do look a bit dry. Maybe what holyhotpeppers suggested will help them recover from any lingering transplant shock.

Yeah - peat is notorious for being too dry too much of the time. Try what holyhotpeppers said. The plants don't look like they like part(s) of the soil either. Been there with other soil and am finally happier with Fox Farms.

Good luck and may they prosper.

Those cups look bone dry. Soak them in a shallow tray until the cup and the soil is fully hydrated, then go back to a conservative watering routine.

Thanks, all. I hit them with a good dose of water when I transplanted but I think the combo of the peat pots and the fan dried them out good. I've read so much about not over-watering on this forum that maybe I got a little over-zealous and under watered. I soaked them as suggested and will report back. John

you will probably notice new life within a few hours if they were under watered. Happened to one of my plants a couple days ago and it scared me a little but it jumped right back

Thanks, all. I hit them with a good dose of water when I transplanted but I think the combo of the peat pots and the fan dried them out good. I've read so much about not over-watering on this forum that maybe I got a little over-zealous and under watered. I soaked them as suggested and will report back. John

Please do!

Well, I might have lost 3 or 4 seedlings but on the whole they did perk right back up with a good soak. About half my plants (50+) were in this condition so I really appreciate everybody looking at the pics and responding. Won't be using peat pots again next year but have to find a better way to bottom water once out of the seed kit. Still have some serious sunburn but they're standing a little taller, at least. Thanks again. John

Back