• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Black Naga Marmalade

Kinda bored yesterday, so thought I`d make something in the jam/jelly arena, as I just got some tremendous Brain Strain Jam and CGN21500 jam from PexPeppers.

So, I went and found a few Black Nagas in Pepperproblem`s freezer and thought I`d keep it to just those.

Ingredients.

21 Black Nagas, whole, not de-seeded
1.5 cups cider vinegar
1 cup wildflower honey
5 cups brown sugar
Finely grated zest and the juice of 1 large orange (I picked it off our tree)
1" square piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
1 tablespoon Bell liquid fruit pectin

This makes roughly 2 pints of marmalade.

Put Black Nagas and vinegar in a blender and blend on low speed for around 2 minutes. Do NOT put your nose in there to smell it! I found out the hard way that it is a bad idea. 

Put that mixture in a very large pan and grate the zest and ginger straight into the pan, then add the orange juice. Heat until hot but not boiling. Add the honey and stir gently to mix and dissolve. Allow the mix to simmer for 5 minutes or so. Do not put your face near the fumes, another thing I found out the hard way. 

Add the sugar and stir very gently to mix and dissolve. Be careful not to splash yourself, it`s hot!!!

Once the sugar has dissolved, bring it to a rolling boil. Keep the mixture boiling until you can no longer stop the foaming from reducing with a wooden spoon. This is because you want to get rid of most of the water and once it has gone, the sugar boils and that can`t be knocked down with stirring. Be really careful at this point, as the mixture is about 300°F. 

Take the pan off the heat and add the pectin. I used Ball liquid fruit pectin. You do not need much pectin as there is quite a lot in the skins of the peppers. Put the pan back on the heat and boil for 1 minute, stirring continuously so that the pectin dissolves. 

Ok, you`re done. Process the mixture while still extremely hot as you would for any type of canning. 

These were the peppers I used

Before cooking, this is the mixture showing it still has some texture and is not smooth,

Just before canning this is the mixture

And the final product,

meinchoh said:
The feds might come knocking on your door, accusing you of making napalm!! Just giv'em a spoonful  ;)
Remember that sugar is an antagonist for capsaicin binding to the receptor. That means sugar prevents the capsaicin from working, so in jams and jellys it`s kinda difficult to get the end product to be very hot. Not impossible though, as this one proves!  :onfire:

meinchoh said:
Nigel, buddy, you're just not well!  :crazy: ...Is that concoction flammable??  :onfire:
... I realize I'm really digging up the grave here, but yes... it's obviously flammable. Didn't you see my attempt to copy?! Mine did flame up. :D

Back