• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Black Nagas - Do They Ripen to Red First?

I bought a black naga plant from a gardening store - A few pods have ripened but they have gone to red.
Is this the first colour change or do I not have a black naga?
I tasted one of the pods when green - they are definitely piquant :D

Wow. I completely read the title of this thread wrong. :rofl:

I did a google image search, and a few of them had a reddish color, but I didn't see any bright red ones. I haven't grown them, so I can't tell you for sure. I am sure others will be more helpful. :)

I don't know about Black Nagas . I've grown what's called Black Thai peppers. Some were green from the start and turned. The ones that gave Black peppers had purple flowers. They were black from the start as I remember . A Thai friend who's a cook told me the black ones would turn red when fully ripe. I never waited.

Peace,
P.Dreadie

They definitely have chinense flowers.
They have a naga shape but they're not bumpy in the slightest.
I did a quick Google search and there are thread titles somewhat similar but I couldn't find the answer!

They go straight from green to dark brown/black. I had 2 last year. They were about 6 ft tall. Cool plants.
blacknaga_zps556f3b06.jpg

Here is one going from green to brown.black.
1strain0151.jpg

To this.
1strain0171.jpg

I have 3 of these that are just starting to fork. I am looking forward to these guys. They look like coco bhuts but shorter and more bumpy.

FYI, I overwintered about 40 plants. 3 did not make it, 2 being Black Nagas, and we do not get to freezing. Got close a few times.

If they are red...you don't have a Black Naga. I was very excited to grow them this season, but backed out when I read of their instability. Maybe I will plant a bunch next time around and hope that some turn out to be black, they are gorgeous pods.

Mine went from green to brown. A couple of my plants were even brownish/black looking. Cool looking plants. I overwintered 2. One is leafing out, the other is stubborn. Started 3 more this year.

Is there anyone working on stabilizing them? I'd be happy to donate seeds when mine ripen up. Got 2 to germinate and popped into soil last night.

It is my understanding that Black Naga is relatively unstable. Therefore, a 'black' naga may turn out to be a red naga.

From the Refining Fire Chiles website: Black Naga (Capsicum chinense)-We believe the origin to be Bangladesh like other Nagas. It grows huge dark brown pods that dwarf the Chocolate Bhut Jolokia. This is the Chocolate version of the King Naga. It also is a very productive plant. Nice sweet heat flavor just like other chocolate chinense varieties. Average heat between 700,000-800,000 Scoville units. The stability of this variety is unknown because not many have grown it. So it is possible you could get red King Naga pods. But in any case a new variety worth growing."

http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Black-Naga-10-Seeds-P2222113.aspx

Here is a size comparision.Large Fatalii pods are to the left. The Black Nagas are fatter than most, if not all of the other Naga/Bhut types that I have grown or seen.
bigpick036_zpsc9688b69.jpg

I grew 2 black naga plants last year. Pulled seeds from black pods but both plants made very bumpy red pods. They turned out to be very hot and very tastey.

Back