• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Black Pepper Poll - For or Against?

Do you like black pepper or any non-capsicum form that calls itself "pepper"?

• Total voters
Given the phrasing, I'm surprised by the strong show of support.  I was not raised on black pepper, but once eventually introduced to it, it became my gateway seasoning to chiles.

If Fort Worth were in the Tropics, my shack would be covered in Piper nigrum vines.

swellcat said:
Given the phrasing, I'm surprised by the strong show of support.

Because there's no choice between meh and godly and most consider it far better than meh! I do.

Though, it does appear you have a co-conspirator there Geeme.......          :crazy:

I've loved Black pepper ever since I put it on my first bowl of Mac and Cheese as a kid.We did not have this new fangled hamburger helper crap back then.It is like your first real date,you never forget. ;)

I went with "No - I can't stand it and can't imagine how anyone can like it - chile peppers rock!" because I truly cannot stand black pepper.. BUT - I get that most others actually do like it.. So, I really only half-agree with the option I chose on the poll - the most important half. lol

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
You can't cook a steak without eggs? Wtf?

:rofl:

Say hello to your friend the misplaced modifier. :D

I'd be more upset with the missing apostrophe....   :D

Black Pepper makes almost everything better.  A good salt and pepper potato chip is (junk) food of the gods!

So many foods jus wouldn't be the same without black pepper. Pickled eggs, steak, pickled herring, lettuce salads… White pepper on the other hand smells like fresh vomit to me. 

dash 2 said:
     So many foods jus wouldn't be the same without black pepper. Pickled eggs, steak, pickled herring, lettuce salads… White pepper on the other hand smells like fresh vomit to me. 
    But it goes great in breakfast sausage,The {White Pepper}

SmokenFire said:
The tellicherry black peppercorn is among the most prized bits of tasty in the known realm. Black pepper is the most widely traded spice since antiquity.  Men went on hair raising adventures with camels and whatnot in attempts to procure the black peppercorns!  Freshly ground black pepper is just as vital and necessary as salt to bring out the flavors of any food in my humble opinion.  For me, pepper is the yin to salt's yang.

Hot peppers and their derivatives (read sauces, pastes, etc) are certainly acceptable replacements for when there is no black pepper.  I prefer to use both though.

Also Star Anise is wonderful Scovie - especially combined with cinnamon, cardamon and lemon grass - which when steeped in beef stock makes a lovely base for noodles and other various parts of cow in one of my all time favorite dishes, Vietnamese Pho.   :)      

The dude abides

I voted for, though don't love it more than chilli's. Salt and fresh cracked black pepper always adorns my steak and eggs, not to mention my homemade Raising Cane's sauce wouldn't be the same without a generous amount of black pepper added. 

Super Hots Canada said:
I went with "No - I can't stand it and can't imagine how anyone can like it - chile peppers rock!" because I truly cannot stand black pepper.. BUT - I get that most others actually do like it.. So, I really only half-agree with the option I chose on the poll - the most important half. lol

So glad Geeme finally has some company.

+1 for the Pickled Eggs.    
 I voted Meh!      I wouldnt miss it if it fell off the side of the Earth.   My Black Pepper grinder sits right alongside my custom Chile pepper blend shaker....say that 3 times fast!

Sunday eggs= black Pepper
  Steak= custom Rub
  Everything else= Chile Pepper

screw some pepper i want a slurppee

slurpee.gif

SmokenFire said:
Also Star Anise is wonderful Scovie - especially combined with cinnamon, cardamon and lemon grass - which when steeped in beef stock makes a lovely base for noodles and other various parts of cow in one of my all time favorite dishes, Vietnamese Pho.  :)
"LIKE"

I really can't stand the stuff. However, it is a must have in my Curry Powder. The Jamaican Curry powder I make is not the same without it, so I will in fact use it. The difference here is, I am not starting polls, trying to convert the rest of the world, and bragging about how much I despise it. "Look at me! I hate BP! and get I get teased about it to no end!" (Hmmm I wonder why) Boooooooooo.

Edit: I am not voting in this ridiculous poll. I'm gonna start my own poll... "Who hates water".

Back