• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds black seed problem

Hi I'm Jim, a new hot pepper grower. I ordered some jolokia seeds from someone in FL about 9 months ago and tried to germinate 4 seeds. I had 3 come up but forgot to water them for a few days and lost 2. My one remaining plant seemed to do well and I moved it outside a couple weeks after the last frost.

I had tons of flowers but only 10 peppers (all turned deep red) all but 3 of them had black spots on the outside of the fruit and seeds turning black, The plant looked great.

I read about blossom end rot so I applies some quick lime and the plant seemed to respond well as I didn't see any black spots on any of the new peppers that came around after I applied the quick lime.

My "second" batch of peppers are just starting to turn I noticed the first one the other day and today saw some black spots on it, and the seeds are turning as well.

Anyone run into this problem before?

The pepper

Picture019.jpg

The plant

Picture020.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions, Jim

I had the same problem with my first few Jamaican hot chocolate pods. I'm not sure what caused it but all my pods are fine now. That plant was a favorite of the stink bugs though.

When I get black seeds it's because I'm over watering. Black spots on the pods may be BLS. Check for leaf spotting. Your plant looks real healthy--If you see leaf spots that may be your warming sign.

Black spots are not Blossom End Rot. That is indicated by the rotting of the very end of the pepper, that's why it's called Blossom END Rot. I get black spots on a lot of peppers, sometimes it effects the inside, sometimes it doesn't and I'm not sure what causes it. The thing is if it's only a few seeds that are black and the flesh of the peppers isn't no need to toss it.

Good luck to ya and welcome to the wonderful world of growing peppers.

black spots and ulcerations on pods and black seeds can also be an indication of needing more calcium. Simple fix is to add smoe dolomite lime to your pots and water it in.

black spots and ulcerations on pods and black seeds can also be an indication of needing more calcium. Simple fix is to add smoe dolomite lime to your pots and water it in.

+1 Recently I lost 9 pods off of 4 Costa Rican Red Hababero plants. Spots, rotten spots and where the stem holds the pods was turning dark as well. A healthy dose of bone meal stopped it within 4 days. Two weeks now and not one more pod has dropped and they are flawless in appearance.
Calcium is the miracle nutrient for chinense. Cheers. :beer:

+1 Recently I lost 9 pods off of 4 Costa Rican Red Hababero plants. Spots, rotten spots and where the stem holds the pods was turning dark as well. A healthy dose of bone meal stopped it within 4 days. Two weeks now and not one more pod has dropped and they are flawless in appearance.
Calcium is the miracle nutrient for chinense. Cheers. :beer:

Back