• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Black spots on Habs

Anyone had this. There's these black large spots that cover about a third of the size of the pod. So far its only on my orange habaneros. I noticed that a collegue of mine had them on some of his habs as well. Ive never had this before - wondering if its either from being insect stung/bitten or from to much rain.

Are the black spots firm like the rest of the pod or mushy?
the skin is thinner on the black - like paper

badchilli.jpg

OK, yes it is skin (the black spot grew) So its BER - whats the treatment or more to the point how do you prevent it.

Does look like BER...BER is caused by calcium deficiency, not by any pathogen.

Prevention...give them some calcium.

Calcium in the soil can be locked out from the plant from drought stress, excessive salts in the soil, bad pH, or from fertilizer which has nitrogen from ammoniacal rather than nitrate.

Does look like BER...BER is caused by calcium deficiency, not by any pathogen.

Prevention...give them some calcium.

Calcium in the soil can be locked out from the plant from drought stress, excessive salts in the soil, bad pH, or from fertilizer which has nitrogen from ammoniacal rather than nitrate.

+1 Very common with toms too. Don't be shy with the bone meal.

A foliar spray of calcium should help especially if its caused by nutrient lockout which is quite common, especially with inconsistant watering. You can also try a copper or sulpher based fungicide, preferably before the problem arises, and try mulching plants for more consistancy in the soil's moisture level

A foliar spray of calcium should help especially if its caused by nutrient lockout which is quite common, especially with inconsistant watering. You can also try a copper or sulpher based fungicide, preferably before the problem arises, and try mulching plants for more consistancy in the soil's moisture level

Most of the sources I've read say that calcium is not absorbed very well as foliar spray.

"Foliar applications of calcium, which are often advocated, are of little value because of poor absorption and movement to fruit where it is needed."

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3117.html

I've never tried a calcium foliar spray for BER though, so I have no personal experience with it...

I know people that swear that spraying powdered milk helps against BER although I guess from a scientific view it really shouldn't(or doesn't) work. I personally like to go with an early preventative spray of copper based fungicide and then rotate with a sulfer based product later on. Calcium is usually in the soil but is just not available to the plants, often due to nutrient imbalances, pH problems, or inconsistant watering etc.

Dasastar can you get a better pic? Does this black spots have layers ? the plant leafs have any spots or lesion?

BER on peppers is not black on the start, more like beige-whitish, then goes to black after time...
Anthacnose or Alternaria Solani start rapidly with black lesions on peppers...check your leafs for any lesions...

Like it was said , BER is produce by calcium deficiency or fluctuations in water supply...take in consideration that excess of nitrogen and sodium block uptake of calcium in soil.
Foliar sprays of calcium each 15 days help...trust me on that one...check metalosate calcium from albion.

Like it was said , BER is produce by calcium deficiency or fluctuations in water supply...take in consideration that excess of nitrogen and sodium block uptake of calcium in soil.
Foliar sprays of calcium each 15 days help...trust me on that one...check metalosate calcium from albion.

Metalosate calcium has a chelating agent, and from what I've read calcium foliar sprays seem to be a lot more effective used with a chelating agent. So if he goes with a foliar calcium spray that might be something to look for...

Metalosate calcium has a chelating agent, and from what I've read calcium foliar sprays seem to be a lot more effective used with a chelating agent. So if he goes with a foliar calcium spray that might be something to look for...

yes Avon and if he uses a chelated calcium + fulvic acid, becomes even more effective, fulvic acid carries minerals from plant surfaces to plant tissues.

I personally use metalosate calcium, boron and molybdenium, humic/fulvic acids, and seaweed extract, each 15 days as foliars. ;)
Foliars do help but never substitute root feeding from plants...

Dazastar remember to post a better picture, and a picture of that plant leafs...

yes Avon and if he uses a chelated calcium + fulvic acid, becomes even more effective, fulvic acid carries minerals from plant surfaces to plant tissues.

I personally use metalosate calcium, boron and molybdenium, humic/fulvic acids, and seaweed extract, each 15 days as foliars. ;)
Foliars do help but never substitute root feeding from plants...

Dazastar remember to post a better picture, and a picture of that plant leafs...
Will do this weekend. By the time I get home from work, its getting on dark so the pictures dont turn out the best.

Back