• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Blair's Sudden Death Jerky review

Today in the mail I got a pretty nice haul. Being new to the real chilihead community, I didn't know what to expect when ordering this stuff. I got a bunch of Blair's Death Rain Habanero Chips, a few packs of the jerky mentioned in the topic title, and a bottle of the ultra death sauce from Blair's. I probably will give reviews on the sauce and chips next, after I get a chance to use the sauce in something(I already tried a small spoon of it).

So first off the bag is pretty small, with about two ounces of jerky in it. Here's it in my hand for a comparison.
CYRNUNK.jpg

It's packed vacuum tight so the product tastes and smells very fresh. When you open it up it doesn't really smell too spicy, it smells of regular beef jerky with maybe a tiny hint of spice.

The jerky comes in these tiny dry strips, with an occasional big one:
xX9Z6C0.jpg
If you like your jerky moist, you should probably let it soak in your mouth a little to get all the flavor(I recommend this anyways, these things are very dry). The flavor of the jerky is actually very tasty, it's definitely high quality stuff, although if you're looking to taste the flavor of the peppers, this doesn't deliver. It tastes like high quality standard beef jerky with a pretty big heat kick, the true flavor of the pepper doesn't really come out. After eating one piece you feel a little bit of heat, nothing too bad, but if you shove a few in your mouth and chew them for a bit it gets a let more noticeable. There's a really pleasant light throat burn you get with these, along with a heavier feel on the lips and inside of the mouth. I expected these to be spicier, but they still deliver some great heat. After wrapping up two bags, I noticed that the heat can vary from piece to piece, the darker colored pieces often having a much bigger kick to them. Another thing is, the jerky residue on the bottom of the bag packs a great amount of heat wherever it lands in your mouth.

Now the real question is, is it worth the price. It ran me about 30 bucks to get 6 packs of these 2oz (57g) bags. Now I don't think it's too ridiculous of a price, especially seeing as beef jerky in general is pricey, although I do think I would feel more comfortable paying around 25. Just for giggles, if I had to give it a rating out of ten I'd give them a seven out of ten. It's got it's issues with being dry and not quite as spicy as I'd want, but it has great flavor and still packs nice heat.

(Thanks for reading my review, this is my first post and my first review on this site, so please let me know how I did!)

Hophead said:
I think you did a great job and only 3 posts into THP and you are posting reviews that's awesome! I do think the jerky is a little on the pricy side.
Thank you for the kinds words :) and yeah, I think Blair should really throw in another ounce or so, or at least give a bigger discount for buying bulk.

impending_bending said:
Think he should ask for hand-outs now? :rofl:
Inside joke Shmokay - nice review, thanks for the contribution!
No worries there LOL, the only time I'll ask for them is if someone is offering ;)

Wow really? Thank you so much! :) I don't have any seeds to offer in return at the time, I'm just starting my chilihead journey, but I'd definitely send seeds your way once I did start getting them!

no, no, not that kind of reciprocity; reciprocity to the community - i.e. pay it forward when you have a chance. I don't want anything in return (except a couple stamps). All that most people here ask is that you not be a di*do :) Shoot me a PM, I'll set you up

Sent you one :) and of course, I'll definitely try my best to be an active/helpful community member! And I'll certainly send you some stamps, it's the least I could do :D

I have wanted to try blairs jerky for ages but I have not seen any UK suppliers with it in stock for so long, damn it! Sounds like the heat is not what I had expected but I love blairs stuff and I love jerky so I must get hold of some one day. The death rain chips are awesome and I have so much love for ultra death, its the one that got me turned on properly to the addictive world of hot sauce!

If you've got a farmers market in your town I suggest checking to see if they've got any vendors selling organic beef jerky and buying from them. Their spicy beef jerky might not be the hottest you've ever had but it definitely tastes good enough to keep going back for more.

Back