• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Blisters 2017 LED Coco grow

After some contemplation on doing a glog this year I've decided to run at least one more. I've scaled back the variety of peppers again and have limited myself to three:

- P. Dreadie Select bonnet - courtesy of Malarky

- Bhut Orange Copenhagen (BOC) - courtesy of Malarky

- Red Jolokia that I grew last year. This one had a very strong scorpion shape and great heat. It had pools of oil in it as well. Since I still have two 1 gallon ziploc bags of dried Red Jolokia peppers I figured I couple experiment a little.

I'm sticking with Coco coir again since I've been having such good luck with it over the last few years. I've still got a 5kg block and a bit of General Hydroponics CocoTek. It's affordable and provides a great root zone medium with little prep.

Starting seeds

I'm trying something a little different this year. I've soaked the seeds in a weak Chamomile tea solution for 24 hours.

f59a085dc966c924136c1d5318647eea.jpg

I've also found some small humidity domes. I've filled some plastic shot glass sized cups with coco and put seeds in them to see how they do in terms of germination.

7f8df59b7db8360815148813156c1f13.jpg

Coco coir prep

247d284f2f2be3010acec688a2d349e5.jpg

Like previous years I will expand the Coco with a mild mixture of CALiMAGic mixed at a ratio of 5ml per 1L of reverse osmosis water.

Once the Coco has had a bit of time to dry, I like to run the coir through a metal mesh strainer so I can separate the fine pith from the coarse chunks.

The strainer is a cheap dollar store version. I put a handful or so of the coco into the strainer and bang it against the palm of my other hand until I'm happy with the amount of pith that's been removed.

cf9d9a5b045a754b14131a2d452e6cff.jpg

Sifted coir. Fine pith on the top, chunky coir on the bottom.

6e7679aa9610ad769fed4c188c4d9195.jpg

I've found that my plants do better when I remove most of the fine pith. The pots dry out quicker which allows me to water more often and replenish the nutrients. When I leave the pith in the coir I've noticed that the pots stay wet too long and I end up with a green mould/slime growing on the surface.

Below is a typical example of the roots produced with Coco. This was a chili plant I grew in 2016.

1797a96611cc60b6a405baf10373b3a0.jpg

Nutrients

11f4109fa2e3ea03193694145c660cf0.jpg

Although I have other nutrients left over from previous years, I keep coming back to General Hydroponics Flora series. I use GreatfulH3AD's formula of:

- 4L Reverse Osmosis water
- 6ml FloraMicro
- 9ml FloraBloom

This basic formula gives me ~700ppm and has proven itself to be more than adequate for the full life cycle of chili plants.

The only changes I've made to the basic formula is to include the addition of Armor Si, CALiMAGic and Superthrive. I'll have to edit this post for the exact mixtures.

Armor Si

I started adding this last year and found a rather happy coincidence. Not only does it add silica to the plant, but it also doubles as a means to adjust the PH of my nutrient solution. It's a two-fer if you will.

CALiMAGic

I've been adding small amounts of this to my nutrient solution, though I'm not convinced that it's entirely necessary. At the same time I haven't found that it hurts given the fact that hot and super hot peppers tend to like more calcium than most plants.

Superthrive

I've just started adding this to my nutrient solution last year. There is a large body of evidence showing the benefits of Superthrive so I figured I'd give it a shot since I found some. I can't say whether it helped or hurt, but I did have my best year last year.

Root Pouch

I also tried fabric pots last year. I picked up some 3 gallon Root Pouch pots after doing a lot of reading on the 420 sites. They didn't disappoint when it came to the growth department. I did noticed that I had to water more. A lot more. Fabric pots dry out fast, especially when there's a wind. The good side is that I get to water more and replenish the nutrients more frequently. I also noticed that I didn't have the thick roots that wrap the plastic pots. There were more of the fine roots.

There seem to be some nice benefits with the fabric pots, but getting the plant out of them is definitely more of a pain in the butt.

Thanks for reading and I hope to update this a bit more regularly than last years grow.

Neil

I'm getting similar results with my first-round seedlings Neil. Same crinkly deep green leaves, short inter-nodal length and thick stem. I don't use a fan either since my cellar is so dry. Thanks for showing the way! :)

I agree with John them 2 P.Dreadie select looks superb plants , lovely lush deep green and nice squat plants , your heading for a fruitful season , good work.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I still have two months before plant out so I expect the plants to get larger. I feel like I'm a bit behind compared to last year, but if my summer is as hot as last year I should still be in good standing.

The P. Dreadie's continue to march on. The BOC'S, and red Bhut plant have a ways to go. I started the Nagabrain's fairly late, but I hope that they at least set one harvest so I can try them within my short 90 day grow season.

I did find out that my seed starting problems were likely linked to my heat mat and it's crazy temperature swings. A thermostat showed that it was ranging from the 70s well up past 100F [emoji53]

Neil

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Blister said:
Good to hear Rick! I guess it's the nutes that make the stem thick of you're getting the same thing.

Neil

The bottom inch of the stems are getting woody too. When the stem grew out 8 nodes on my first-round seedlings,  I clipped the primary node and all the leaves except the bottom pair a couple of days ago to force axillary growth like Spicy Chicken did. They all had at least started to put it out anyway, so it shouldn't take long for them to bush out. The Piment Cabri already has side branches an inch long.

Glad to hear you got your heat mat issues figured out.

Couple of updates. First one is that I scored on some coco. $6 per 5kg block! Guy said he has 3 more blocks that I should be able to pick up on Monday.

bbda8a968d81ee8eb8b74c8cf8cc5b26.jpg

Second update is that I moved some BOC's to new homes. Roots weren't overly developed, but I'm hoping that they'll shoot up now that they're in new digs. 2 months to plant out.

6ae9365951c8a96ae4a9ccdc0f251040.jpg

Roots

50cc81bdc541c8c188a911e99a823a6e.jpg

f17e25cfcfc6867c776016d6b6fa124e.jpg

New homes

a0e37a33bf4d053721e4e495b57ed740.jpg

I have a couple of chocolate nagabrains that are on the verge of needing to be potted up too. Just need to figure out the space issue.

Neil

Trippa said:
Looking good ... A 90 day grow window is tough ... I like your commitment

Yea I live in a cold part of the country and don't have much of a grow season. It's actually why I switched everything up and grow chili's in coco now. Last year was my best to date. Hoping to improve on it this year!

Superhot Sim said:
Love the look of the BOC in their new shoes. Both very healthy seedlings, good work.
Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Thanks! The BOC's are a late entry to the season, but they're progressing nicely. Seems as though the addition of Flora Grow and the Diamond Nectar have really evened things out for me. The leaves are flat and green on these. Looking forward to trying the BOC's. Seems like they get pretty highly rated in terms of flavor.

stickman said:
Nice score on the coco Neil, and those root balls look excellent. :thumbsup:
Thanks Rick! Sad to see a store in town close, but that doesn't stop me from grabbing the deals from them! Seems to be that the root balls were better under GreatfulH3AD's formula, but these are nothing to sneeze at either. The overall plant looks great.

Neil

Blister said:
  Thanks Rick! Sad to see a store in town close, but that doesn't stop me from grabbing the deals from them! Seems to be that the root balls were better under GreatfulH3AD's formula, but these are nothing to sneeze at either. The overall plant looks great.

S'right brother... you can't argue with success!

My apologies for bringing up an old post. I'm amazed by your coco grow logs and will be using your techniques with my plants this year.

Not sure if you still post on here or not but hopefully you see this if you do.

Do you feed your plants at 700 ppm after they sprout or do you start lower? You seem to feed consistently at 700 ppm after the plants have a few true leaves and they seem to respond well without any signs on nutrient burn.

Back