• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Blooms and Nutes Q's

I have 7 Fresno Chili, 3 Tequila Sunrise and one Habanero. I don't know what kind of Hab, the stick just said Habanero.

2 of the Tequila Sunrise and one of the Fresno chili's got planted in some really crappy soil. I gave them a dose of Mag/Sulfate, after three days they didn't respond. I upped the dose and gave them about 1tblspn per liter of water and they have since gotten a new attitude. They are starting to flourish. All the plants got a mild half dose of that same mix that day. I don't think the Fox Farm plants really need any nutes, they didn't get much of that mixed water.

Largest Fresno is just short of 2' tall. The Hab is about 18" and starting to show lots of budding locations on the top, nearly none on the lower nodes. It's also showing some cool shoots coming up from the bottom that will probably end up giving some buds.

Growth seems to have slowed as I have started letting the plants go into bloom mode.

My question is what would be a good suppliment, if any, to add at this time. I have maybe 3 blooms on one plant that I gave about a week head start for blooms, that will be blooming this week it looks like. All the plants are starting to load up with the starts of blooms. I'd like to give them all a dose of supm that would help them push out those blooms with mo powa. Something natural if anything at all.

Something natural.... how about some worm castings tea. That should give your plants a nice kick, both as a spray and a soil drench.

Diablo said:
Thanks dude, that sounds good and natural. That's a nitrogen? Chicken poop would work too right?

Worm castings contain NPK, micro nutrients, as well as beneficial microbial life. Chicken poo is good but can't compete with worm castings. BUT, decomposed chicken poo rich in red wigglers and castings is great stuff. :)

Sweet. I'll have to see what the hydro shop has. I think they have guano too, which I think is in the same league as chicken poop. I'll see what's up with those worm castings too. Thanks man.

How about some fish emulsion? It doesn't have a lot of fert 1.3.1, but really feeds the soil that feeds the plant. I added some to a low producing jalapeno and now it has at least 20 fruit and tons of flowers. Smells horrible, but really seemed to help my sub par soil.

hey how much chicken poop is too much? Just bought a huge bag and the directions say only 1 cup per square meter... n i'm thinkin "gee thats not much at all" ... here's me having bought 20kgs worth! lol... so far i've given em about 1 handful per pot - 30cm x 70cms planter (about 1/3cup each). Can i give em more???... i want too...

BonniePepperRob said:
hey how much chicken poop is too much? Just bought a huge bag and the directions say only 1 cup per square meter... n i'm thinkin "gee thats not much at all" ... here's me having bought 20kgs worth! lol... so far i've given em about 1 handful per pot - 30cm x 70cms planter (about 1/3cup each). Can i give em more???... i want too...

Well, I've never bought the stuff and don't know how much your bagged manure is broken down, but I would use at least 1 cup per pot and possibly more depending on what you're mixing it with.

I have some rooster cages (4ft x 12ft) that sit 4ft. above sloping ground inside a 60ft x 130ft fenced area containing my hens and the poop gradually works its way down slope behind the cages where it naturally mixes with fallen leaves, is decomposed and stirred daily by my hens searching for grubs and worms. After going through this process it looks like very dark black dirt and no longer has a foul odor. This poop enriched material is what I mix with my pots at the rate of a 5 gallon bucket to 6 cubic feet of potting mix.

That's quite a bit more than 1 cup per pot but we're comparing apples to oranges. Maybe someone else that uses the bagged stuff can provide some input on quantity.

Poop is usually high in nitrogen, where you likely want something well balanced or higher in phosphorous like bone meal

Back