• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Blorvak 2015! - First Harvest!

Hey everyone!

Starting my seeds later this year, as a result of last year's experiments. But it's a very dreary day in the NW. Which is the perfect time to start this year's glog!

Only garlic and collards in the garden now. And rain. Lots of rain:

zwDOZA4l.jpg

Last year I grew too much heat. I'll admit it! I want to can a bunch of peppers this year, so I'm going strong with Annuums.

The List 2015!!

C. Chinense
  • Yellow 7 Pot
  • *White Bullet Habanero (saved seed) - 3/6
  • *Yellow Fatalii (PepperLover) - 4/6
  • *MOA Scotch Bonnet (PepperLover) - 3/6
  • *Charapita (Cone 9) - 5/6
  • *Better Bhut (Spicegeist) - 3/3
  • *Guwahati Bhut (Spicegeist) - 5/6

C. Frutescence
  • *Bradley's Bahamian (PepperLover) - 0/6

C. Annuum
  • Amish Bush (PepperLover) - 0/4
  • Aleppo (PepperLover) - 0/12
  • Bell of Lebanon (PepperLover) - 0/4
  • Black Hungarian x3 (saved seed) - 0/12
  • Cracked Jalapeno x5 (saved seed) - 0/20
  • Farmer's Jalapeno (PepperLover) - 0/8
  • Goat's Weed x2 (saved seed) - 0/8
  • *Pequin (saved seed) - 3/6
  • Purple Cayenne (saved seed) - 0/4
  • Tekne Dolmasi (PepperLover) - 0/4

C. Baccatum
  • *Aji Amarillo (PepperLover) - 6/6
  • *Aji Lemon (saved seed) - 2/3
  • *Birgit Locoto (???) - 3/3
  • *Brazillian Starfish (cone9) - 5/6

C. Pubescens
  • *Yellow Rocoto (saved seed) - 2/6
Wild
  • *Round C. Praetermissum (Spicegeist) -2/3
* First Round, planted on 1/25/2015

Thinking I still might need an Anaheim-type pepper. Anything else you think I'm missing?

The Plan!

I'm also planning on tearing out the rickety built ins in the basement and adding some Home Depot shelving units, one of which I'm going to convert into a grow chamber. I have this planned for the holiday break, so I'll post some pics of the transformation if I get to it!

I also built a bubble bucket to give hydro a try. Have a few tiny basil sprouts in rockwool now. They'll be my test run for greater plantings down the road!

Long season peppers will be started Feb 1st. Short season on March 1st. 

Will have a dedicated pepper raised bed, and will be using root pouches again. I saved the soil I mixed from last year under some tarps, and I'm planning on refreshing it a month before plant-out.

Wish me luck! I always need it.

Awesome, John. Sounds like you are getting the germination thing down!

Let's put out positive energy for a beautiful Spring with lots of sun and nice showers.

blorvak said:
The Better Bhut is the biggest Chinense so far. Looking good! Can't wait to try a pod!

koStyogl.jpg

My other Bhut, the Guwahati Bhut is almost as big as the Better one. My first year growing bhuts, and having got my seeds from Spicegeist, I know they'll be top notch:

dij2tkQl.jpg

blorvak said:

Here's a few solo shots:  Round C. Praetermissum

fJ5xFDJl.jpg

Better Bhut:

uNVVHo6l.jpg

These are looking really great!  Nice work!

:dance:
I'm not growing the Better Bhut myself this year... I've only shared this with a handful of people, so if it turns out nice, be sure to save some seed :cool:

PaulG said:
Awesome, John. Sounds like you are getting the germination thing down!

Let's put out positive energy for a beautiful Spring with lots of sun and nice showers.

Well, it's been really nice thus far! Maybe some hail today, but if that's all we have to worry about...

Spicegeist said:

These are looking really great!  Nice work!

:dance:

I'm not growing the Better Bhut myself this year... I've only shared this with a handful of people, so if it turns out nice, be sure to save some seed :cool:

I have no doubt it will be nice! If I can get them to produce, I'll save lots of seed!

Oy! How did I get so busy with non-pepper stuff all of a sudden? And how did my plants get so big this far away from plant out? Guess I'm pottin' up!

The Queen Laurie's are monster plants. My big, fat, orange cat in the background for scale:

YHuqDkOl.jpg

They were looking so top heavy in their cups. At transplant, the roots didn't look insanely root bound. Very curious plant.

Here's a group shot, bending toward the light:

SR5YfSDl.jpg

I gotta rotate them daily, or the tall ones will fall over. Several are now staked as well.

The Yellow Rocoto has split into three growing tips. A bit funky!:

CPcMVPyl.jpg

And here's the White Bullet Hab, in the process of being turned around. This guy already has some baby flower buds on it:

xpzndogl.jpg

And how about Round 2? They're coming along in the basement:

ZswFnCFl.jpg

I did manage to finally germ a Bradley's Bahamanian. Still tiny, but maybe I'll get a frutescens this season after all.

But, everything is in pots, and no seeds are cooking. Now comes the wait for dirt day. Maybe I'll have some time to catch up on the glogs!

Planted potatoes this weekend, and the asparagus are finally starting to appear en mass. It's only the second year for the bed, so no picking this year. Hopefully, next year will pay off!

Cheers, and I'll be back to take some pics of the annuums in the next few days!

Looking good, John!  Those babies are yearning for plant-out!

blorvak said:

Well, it's been really nice thus far! Maybe some hail today, but if that's all we have to worry about...

I have no doubt it will be nice! If I can get them to produce, I'll save lots of seed!

Oy! How did I get so busy with non-pepper stuff all of a sudden? And how did my plants get so big this far away from plant out? Guess I'm pottin' up!

The Queen Laurie's are monster plants. My big, fat, orange cat in the background for scale:

YHuqDkOl.jpg

They were looking so top heavy in their cups. At transplant, the roots didn't look insanely root bound. Very curious plant.

Here's a group shot, bending toward the light:

SR5YfSDl.jpg

I gotta rotate them daily, or the tall ones will fall over. Several are now staked as well.

The Yellow Rocoto has split into three growing tips. A bit funky!:

CPcMVPyl.jpg

And here's the White Bullet Hab, in the process of being turned around. This guy already has some baby flower buds on it:

xpzndogl.jpg

And how about Round 2? They're coming along in the basement:

ZswFnCFl.jpg

I did manage to finally germ a Bradley's Bahamanian. Still tiny, but maybe I'll get a frutescens this season after all.

But, everything is in pots, and no seeds are cooking. Now comes the wait for dirt day. Maybe I'll have some time to catch up on the glogs!

Planted potatoes this weekend, and the asparagus are finally starting to appear en mass. It's only the second year for the bed, so no picking this year. Hopefully, next year will pay off!

Cheers, and I'll be back to take some pics of the annuums in the next few days!
I have some queen Laurie germinating have you had them before if so what do you think of there flavor?
Also your plants are looking wonderful best of luck this season
I have seeds for white bullet hab but could not get to it

Plantguy76 said:
I have some queen Laurie germinating have you had them before if so what do you think of there flavor?
Also your plants are looking wonderful best of luck this season
I have seeds for white bullet hab but could not get to it

My first season growing the Queen Laurie, but I hear they're supposed to be medium hot, and all the baccatuum I've grown have had great citrus flavors. Can't wait to try.

I really like the white habs. Tiny, so you can add as little, or much heat to a dish easily, instead of having half a pepper left over.

PaulS said:
Nice plants dude :)
How tall is the starfish plant now?

It is now 24 inches tall! Check it!

rlXfLqel.jpg

So, I really chose the wrong year to NOT enter the growdown:

Gtos4Cwl.jpg

I'm actually kinda embarrassed about how big everyone has grown. I don't have space or time for potting up. Guess I'll let the chips fall where they may!

The Queen Laurie is now nearing 3ft:

5NbeJHbl.jpg

It's supposed to be 80 this weekend (80? 80!!!) which is very un-Portland-like for this time of year. I'm going to plant out the Baccatuums and the Rocoto in some Ocean Forest filled root pouches this weekend. My home-made potting soil isn't even prepped yet! If it gets cold, I'll rig a greenhouse.  

Here's a Yellow Fatalii looking pretty bushy. The Chinenses are not nearly as tall, but still way bigger than last year:

SIpIqcDl.jpg

Pequin might be taller than the fully mature one I grew last year. Much less bushy, however:

ceQRSsSl.jpg

Downstairs, the annuums are feeling a bit cramped:

K6kDLQPl.jpg

Biggest 2nd round plant thusfar - Tenke Dolmasi:

csuMKoTl.jpg

One of the Cracked Jalapenos:

HO0jCEOl.jpg

Goat's Weed:

EiSuR4ql.jpg

And lastly, one of my Better Bhuts in quarantine. I think it had edema, but I didn't trust it to not be something else, so I clipped the bottom leaves that had the mysterious white-ish stuff underneath, and gave it some room. Seems to have done the trick:

syQFBPPl.jpg

Phew! That's it for now! Off to go make a plan on how to handle all these guys!

I also panicked when I first encountered edema a few years ago, I thought it was some bugs or something.  You can completely ignore it, it will go away once you get the plant outside in natural conditions (better air flow, UV light, etc.).  Just don't over water it or freak out and damage the plant thinking it's a pest when it's not.  Do you have any pics of what you suspect is edema?

Runescape said:
Plants are looking awesome...especially dat Goats Weed yo...

Thanks!

Spicegeist said:
I also panicked when I first encountered edema a few years ago, I thought it was some bugs or something.  You can completely ignore it, it will go away once you get the plant outside in natural conditions (better air flow, UV light, etc.).  Just don't over water it or freak out and damage the plant thinking it's a pest when it's not.  Do you have any pics of what you suspect is edema?

Yes I do have pics!

They're a bit hard to make out, because I don't have a macro lens, but I think you can make out what's going on:

B3lEmKkl.jpg

MEjngWal.jpg

The plant had plenty of leaves left, so I only snipped a few. On second thought, I should have just quarantined it and checked to see if there was any progression. In any case, it seems to be happy now.

blorvak said:

The Queen Laurie is now nearing 3ft:

5NbeJHbl.jpg

Nice problem to have, huh?  It will branch out a lot as well.

I'm certain you'll enjoy these.  Plenty of heat and great taste.  Mine got a late start last year and I only got 6 or 8 ripe fruit, but the plant was loaded when the first frost came.  Plant height maxed out at about 6 feet but I suspect it would have been taller but for the late start.

That's definitely edema, John.  No big deal.  some of my plants get it every year,
especially when truing to manage water in the crowded greenhouse.  

Your plants look great, and yes, this is a good week to plant out the baccatums
and pubescens types.  My Aji Amarillos and Manzanos go into their 10-gallon
pots tomorrow and Friday!  They can tolerate pretty cold nights; the Ajis have
been outside since Saint Paddy's day.  the 32 degree night last night didn't phase
them under the deck canopy.  

So go for it, brother!

blorvak said:

Thanks!

Yes I do have pics!

They're a bit hard to make out, because I don't have a macro lens, but I think you can make out what's going on:

B3lEmKkl.jpg

MEjngWal.jpg

The plant had plenty of leaves left, so I only snipped a few. On second thought, I should have just quarantined it and checked to see if there was any progression. In any case, it seems to be happy now.

PaulG said:
That's definitely edema, John.  No big deal.  some of my plants get it every year,
especially when truing to manage water in the crowded greenhouse.  

Your plants look great, and yes, this is a good week to plant out the baccatums
and pubescens types.  My Aji Amarillos and Manzanos go into their 10-gallon
pots tomorrow and Friday!  They can tolerate pretty cold nights; the Ajis have
been outside since Saint Paddy's day.  the 32 degree night last night didn't phase
them under the deck canopy.  

So go for it, brother!

Yep, edema, just leave it alone, improve airflow or give it more natural light if you can, otherwise, just don't add to it's woes.  One year, I was such a fool, I actually panicked so bad, I got rid of some plants out of fear it was mites or something weird thing that would destroy all my plants.  Oh well, live and learn :)

Let's see... 4 family birthdays, a refinance, and recording an EP with the band. That's where my time has been going. And now it's dirt day? DIRT DAY?!?!

So as you may have gathered from other PNW glogs, the weather has been fantastic. In the 80's today. Additionally, my plants are WAY too tall. With the long term forecast predicting nights in the low 50's, high 40's, I got to plant out. Also, I'm headed out of town, so these plants need some permanent shoes. Also, also, moving these plants now damage them. They're that big.

I re-amended last year's potting soil, which I kept under a tarp in the corner of the yard. This ended up adding volume, which is good, because I'm growing 15 peppers in 7 gal root pouches this year. Last year I did 10.

kP9nO8Xl.jpg

QWp4CzRl.jpg

I planted the first wave last weekend, when I wasn't in the studio. The soil hadn't cycled as long as I wanted it to, but I've used all organic ferts, so I'm not all that concerned. The tallest of the tall were selected: which were all of the Baccatuums, and the Yellow Rocoto

Today, I planted all of the Chinense. No time to do a proper hardening off, but they've been in the window sill for a while. Should be used to sun. Also, I'm putting them under the tree so they can chill in the shade for a week or so:

And now it's family portrait time!

Yellow Rocoto! (A very handsome looking plant, which hasn't been phased at all by moving outdoors):

wGjvfv0l.jpg

Aji Amarillo:

7MNv5IIl.jpg

Brigit Locoto (A bit wan):

owxsAySl.jpg

Aji Limon (a bit of sunburn, but I think it'll turn out all right):

j9mbYMMl.jpg

Brazilian Starfish:

gv4K1ZSl.jpg

Queen Laurie:

5yATTxRl.jpg

And today's plant outs!:

luo6hNBl.jpg

MOA Scotch Bonnet:

8deKbQEl.jpg

And that's 10 pics. I got more, if I can get a bump.

bump

cone9 said:

Thank you kindly!

Continuing on with some portraits, here's a Pequin:

6NUc6jnl.jpg

Yellow Fatalii:

Z3G7ov2l.jpg

Charapita:

vVCdaZSl.jpg

White Bullet Habanero:

2UiMtOal.jpg

Better Bhut:

JCDxtNql.jpg

Guwahati Bhut (with flowers already!):

q4mn69Fl.jpg

And my only frutescens, Bradley's Bahamanian:

bigwScjl.jpg

And then my wild, the Round C. Praetermissum:

IJ1sS09l.jpg

So, now all I need to plant out is my Annuums. But those have been in the basement. Need to harden them off first.

Can I get it done before I leave town? Well... I think so.

Thanks for reading. Now I gotta go read a ton of glogs!

Spicegeist said:
How've things been going lately?

Hey! Thanks for checking in! Sorry to be remiss! I like to have weekly updates, but my time has been crazy this year. It's looking like monthly, doesn't it?

Anyway, things are going great! We are having an insanely hot summer. It was supposed to hit 100 today (seasonal average at this time, 70), so I hauled all of my peppers in root pouches under the big tree. And put shade cloth up over the rest. It only broke 92. So today, I moved them all back.  :rolleyes:

I also have a bunch of pic! 

This first group is from May 26th. I didn't get around to posting them. I have another batch from today. Give me a bump if you want to see those too!

From the time machine... one month ago!... a sad, accidentally topped Brazilian Starfish:

OeOWWIVl.jpg

It's doing good now! I'll post an update pic!

Here's the rest of my plant out, in pots.  The front line:

gPbABryl.jpg

The back line:

MG11MdAl.jpg

As you can see, my starts got spindly, and remained so. Just now, they're beginning to kick out the side growth action.

Annuums in raised bed 1:

CVyDRCll.jpg

Solo Yellow Rocoto:

pVRgPdFl.jpg

Round C. Praetermissum:

WbIWFZWl.jpg

It was so hot, that my hardening off this year still was a mess. Lots of unhappy leaves. They're finally shedding those now.

Queen Laurie:

1fSO6Zal.jpg

The rear guard:

j3Tvzgal.jpg

Garden shot:

xm5329ol.jpg

So far this season, I really can't complain. Things are coming along! Give a bump for today's pics! (Or I'll post tomorrow)

Back