• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Blorvak's Greenhorn 2014 - End of Season Wrap Up!

First off, Happy Holidays everyone! Now that I have a little time, I thought I'd start a glog.

The backstory:  My last season sucked. Straight up. 10 plants. Averaged 1 pod a plant.

Then I found this place.

THEN I had to wait months to put all the tips I found to work. Suffice to say, I'm rearing to get going!

Hope I don't mess it up!

Hey all! This is my rookie blog, and here is my growlist:

C. Chinense
  • Orange Habanero (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Datil (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Trinidad Cola Bean (cmpman1974)
  • Trinidad Gold Bean (cmpman1974)
  • Mako akokɔsrade (Pepper Lover)
  • Trinidad Scotch Bonnet, Brown (Pepper Lover)
  • Trinidad Scotch Bonnet, Red (Pepper Lover)
C. Baccatum
  • Aji Habanero (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Aji Limon (Pepper Lover)
C. Pubescens

• Yellow Rocoto (cmpman1974)
  • Manzana, yellow (Harvested from store bought pod)

C. Annuum
  • Goat's Weed (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Pequin (Pepper Lover)
  • Fish pepper (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Joe E. Parker Pepper (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Tunisian Baklouti Pepper (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Hungarian Hot Cherry (Pepper Lover)
  • Cracked Jalapeno (Pepper Lover)
  • Sucette de Provence (Trade Wind Seeds)
I have only a handful of posts, and already people have been more than generous. THP is a friendly place!

Roguejim said:
 Here's an email from Judy.  It appears the aji limon is mislabeled on Judy's site.  I believe you are growing the aji lemon/lemondrop.  You might want to try the aji pineapple sometime.  I can't really tell it apart from the lemondrop, though.  Cheers!

Actions

www .PepperLover.com
Add to contacts
12:15 PM

To: Jim O'Conner

Aij lemon is baccatum 
Aji limon is c.chinense 
PepperLover.com

Duly noted! Aji Lemon it is!

@Blorvak   I have quite a few CGN21500's this year.  I'd be happy to get some in to your hands.  PM if you want some.

cheers!

z_malloc said:
@Blorvak   I have quite a few CGN21500's this year.  I'd be happy to get some in to your hands.  PM if you want some.

cheers!
Wow, very generous! Thanks for the offer!

Hey everyone! Sorry for being incommunicado, but I've been busy with all sorts of stuff, positive and lame. The good news is that it's been a great year for the garden!

Fall rains just started on the first day of Fall. Some plants are done (like the 7 pot yellow, the yellow rocoto, and the white bullet hab), but some are still loaded and producing (like the datil, the mako akoksrade, goat's weed, and more). 

These last few weeks I snapped some harvest photos. Belatedly uploading them now.

Here's a pull from last week:

T8USn7Sl.jpg

Lonely aji habanero on top, next row L to R: Yellow Rocoto, Chocolate Hab, Goat's Weed.
Next row: Aji Lemon, Datil, Fish Pepper
Next row: Trinidad Cola Bean, Pequin, and Mako Akoksrade

As you can see, my T. Cola Beans are not really cola. Kinda a yellowpeachwhite:

W5mYUQsl.jpg

Then a pull from this week:

dRw37bQl.jpg

Starting at top row, all L to R: "Yellow Rocoto", Cracked Jalapeno, Yellow Rocoto, Alma Paprika
Fish Pepper, Goat's Weed, Purple Cayenne, Black Hungarian
Datil, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, Aji Lemon, Pequin, Mako Akoksrade
Lonely White Bullet Hab, Aji Habanero

I've had some other pulls too, and 4 bags of peppers in the fridge. So this week is processing week!

New Powders:

cHcJ5pFl.jpg

And some Sabal Oelek made from Cracked Jalapenos, Fish Peppers, salt and cider vinegar. Pictured along-side a commercial version:

h9H27sol.jpg

Alright, time to get to reading some glogs! So far behind!

LowDrag said:
Looking good B.  What are you using to grind your peppers?  I am thinking about using my Ninja blender.

Just an old, cheap blade style coffee grinder. I use it for my spice grinder. Works pretty well, but I bet the Ninja would work much better. I'd be sure to clean it out well... once you start powdering the superhots, it makes everything that comes out of the grinder afterwards a bit, well, spicier!

Days are getting significantly shorter, so I generally don't have time to pick during the week. Garden is on it's last legs. Still have tomatoes, and peppers ripening, but about half of the pepper plants are definitely done. Some are putting out new flowers. Doubt they'll amount to anything  :P

Today's pull:

fbedc3Yl.jpg

Bottom row, R to L: Mako Akoksrade, Datil, Pequin
Top row, R to L: Last Yellow Rocoto, Last Yellow 7 pot, Fish Peppers, and my mystery pepper that's probably a Caribbean Red.

When it comes to the Datil, slow and steady wins the race. Took forever to get going, but a very productive plant. The Mako Akoksrade is very productive as well, and has been producing continuously all season.

Did some processing today... new ferment going:

yH733lfl.jpg

And made my first cooked sauce. A plain jane Datil sauce:

XdfTHull.jpg

Now I need to hatch my overwinter project. Wish me luck!

Nuthin' but likes for your grow log, John!

You are getting some good results from your urban garden,
and putting the pods to good use!  Way to make the PNW
look good!

blorvak said:

Just an old, cheap blade style coffee grinder. I use it for my spice grinder. Works pretty well, but I bet the Ninja would work much better. I'd be sure to clean it out well... once you start powdering the superhots, it makes everything that comes out of the grinder afterwards a bit, well, spicier!

Days are getting significantly shorter, so I generally don't have time to pick during the week. Garden is on it's last legs. Still have tomatoes, and peppers ripening, but about half of the pepper plants are definitely done. Some are putting out new flowers. Doubt they'll amount to anything  :P

Today's pull:

fbedc3Yl.jpg

Bottom row, R to L: Mako Akoksrade, Datil, Pequin
Top row, R to L: Last Yellow Rocoto, Last Yellow 7 pot, Fish Peppers, and my mystery pepper that's probably a Caribbean Red.

When it comes to the Datil, slow and steady wins the race. Took forever to get going, but a very productive plant. The Mako Akoksrade is very productive as well, and has been producing continuously all season.

Did some processing today... new ferment going:

yH733lfl.jpg

And made my first cooked sauce. A plain jane Datil sauce:

XdfTHull.jpg

Now I need to hatch my overwinter project. Wish me luck!

Your ferment is very chunky, not something I usually see.  Most seem to run everything through a processor/blender first.  I'm on my third try, so I'm taking notes.  After you put the water-filled bag on top, do you put a lid on also?  I wonder if the bag keeps O2 out.

What does the ferment do?  And what is it used for?  I have never heard of a ferment before finding this site.

Thanks,
Dave

Hey everyone!

Sorry for being incommunicado. Had some life stuff come up, and just got back from vacation. Well rested! But, alas, the growing season is over.

PaulG said:
Nuthin' but likes for your grow log, John!

You are getting some good results from your urban garden,
and putting the pods to good use!  Way to make the PNW
look good!

Hey thanks Paul! Love your blog and your supportive ways! Now I gotta catch up on the blog part  :P

Roguejim said:

Your ferment is very chunky, not something I usually see.  Most seem to run everything through a processor/blender first.  I'm on my third try, so I'm taking notes.  After you put the water-filled bag on top, do you put a lid on also?  I wonder if the bag keeps O2 out.

I like to ferment chunky because it's easier to keep everything submerged. I don't keep a lid on the ferment, and the weight of the water in the bag makes a pretty cheap and easy airlock. Alton Brown also uses this method. I get some kahm yeast on top, but you just need to skim that. It's a pellicle formed by the lacto. Lets you know they're doing their thing!

LowDrag said:
What does the ferment do?  And what is it used for?  I have never heard of a ferment before finding this site.

Thanks,
Dave

The ferment is a different way of pickling veggies. Instead of using vinegar (acetic acid) you rely on microbial action to create lactic acid. This has a bit of a different flavor, and is a natural way of souring food. Kim chee is an example, as is saurkraut.

Season Wrap Up!

Rainy season has begun in Portland. Not freezing yet, but cold nights/wet, grey days. But what's amazing is that the peppers are still producing! Aside from the collards, it's the only summer plant still chugging along!

I was really hoping to overwinter a few of these, but it looks like I've run out of light, and time to build some manner of structure. Don't have a space inside, or a garage. I'd need to build a greenhouse of some sort. Don't think it's gonna happen  :P

My close-to-last harvest!:

xuY5mykl.jpg

Now it's time to pick the winners and losers of the season, and to make some unscientific observations. Should be fun!

Winners

These guys get a slot in next year's garden! In order of my favs.

White Bullet Habanero
Worried me at the start because it dropped flowers forever before setting, but once it set, it SET. Loved the flavor, heat and size. With these tiny firecrackers, once could easily adjust the amount of heat in a dish. Using 1/16th of a superhot is much less efficient.

Aji Lemon
Took the longest to ripen, but bursting with lemony flavor, crunch, and heat. Too hot for my non-chili heads, but great picked for my own usage! But man, talk about a looooong ripening time.

Black Hungarian
Really great, raisin-y flavor, prolific, early fruiting. Used them in everything from salsa, to salads, to pickles.

Cracked Jalapeno
Great jalapeno, good flavor, lots of heat, and reasonably prolific. Didn't crack for me, but that's okay! :)

Goat's Weed
One of my earliest, prolific pod setters, and ripeners. Exactly the level of hot I like: Hot!!, but not Insane Hot!! Makes great flakes. Beautiful plant that thrived in the raised bed.

Pequin
The little plant that could. Slow grower, but once it set, it was off to the races. Ripened later season. Hot, sharp flavor. Pretty plant as well. 

Yellow Rocoto
Set and ripened earlier than I expected. Great, sweet flavor and crunch that worked well in everything that I put them in. Much hotter than I expected, but heat could be completely removed by coring. 

Yellow 7 pot
My first superhot had a great floral scent that perfumed any dish I added it to. Reasonable to cook with once cored and cleaned out with a paper towel. Made great fermented sauce, powder, and added kick to salsa.

Good, would grow again!

But probably not next season.

Aji Habanero
Loved the flavor, but this wan, sickly plant was not prolific enough for me. Maybe it would do better in a root pouch.

Fish Pepper
Took longer to ripen than the other annuums, and had a bit of a generic flavor. Not hot at all. 

Alma Paprika
Had a bit of a savory, smoke-ish flavor that didn't quite make it a multi-tasker. Great pickled. Not great grilled. 

Datil
Late ripener, but prolific! Made a great, basic cooked sauce. Good heat, not insane. 

Losers! (For my situation, in this one year. Not passing judgement on these fine plants! Probably would have got better results if I were a better gardener.)

CGN21500 
I got one pod. Gave my brother the other plant, and he had more than he knew what to do with. A bit too hot for my uses.

Scotch Bonnet, Red
No pods!

Scotch Bonnet, Brown
Very late podder, and to be honest, I haven't made the sauce I was planning on with this yet. So the taste jury is still out. Maybe I will grow again.

Mako Akoskrade
Not my favorite, flavor-wise, but prolific! Early to set, early to ripen, and dutifully produced fruit continuously all season.

Joe E. Parker
Did not do well in it's location. Might have been the soil. It was the only plant not in the pepper plot. Not prolific, and aside from it's first perfect fruit, all subsequent fruit were matte and stunted.

Tunesian Baklouti
Got one pod. I think this guy likes much cooler temp. After being almost dead for the entire year, it finally perked up now, with the cool weather. Flowering again.

Trinidad Beans, Gold and Cola
Did not grow true to color (which ended up being some strange shade of peach), but very prolific. Nothing wowed me about the taste. Not a bad pepper, but there are lots for me to try!

Experiments

Raised beds vs Root Pouches
Plants of all stripes simply did better in the root pouches than the raised bed. Some chinense did not fruit at all in the RB. I have a suspicion that the difference in the soil may be the culprit, but that's only a guess. Annuums did the best in the RB.

Ocean Forest vs. Roll yer own potting soil
No difference. Both did great. Results exactly the same. Roll yer own is preferable, unless you don't have a month to cycle the soil. Then go with the expensive solution!

Germination
Next year... later in the year. My late 7 pot I started in Feb did great, and all the plants I started in Jan stalled out for months before growing.

I think I my new method is going to be germination in paper towel, then transferring three to a peat pot, and culling the weakest. Last method tried, and worked well. Cheap, and easy. 

Once the seedling is chosen, transfer to solo cup using Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil.

Looking to 2015!

Already ordered a big selection of seeds from Judy. Lots of her new Turkish varieties, and of course, freebies!

TL:DR Results!
  • Grew too many hot peppers! Going hard with Baccatuum and Annuum next year!
  • Root pouches did better than raised bed.
  • Successful season! I owe a lot of that to THP! Thanks!
Thanks everyone for reading! See ya next year, and around the forum!

Excellent summary of your season, John!  I agree about the Manzano - one of the best peppers going.
Also had the same experience with an early start for my chinenses this season.  I'll move the start date
forward a few weeks this year.  They stall out even in the greenhouse when I start on Jan. 1st; seems
like June is always a cruddy month for peppers after a decent May, so maybe if they are a little younger,
they might handle it better.  I'm still trying to decide what to grow next year.  35 plants maximum.

You had a nice grow and should be ready to roll next season.
I'll be looking for your glog!

Nice summary about your experiences this year.  Got me thinking about my own year and what worked and what did not work.  Will definitely have to try and capture those thoughts and use them to improve on next year.  Interesting that your plants did better in the root pouches than the soil.  I had the exact opposite experience.  I only had 2 fabric root pouches, but those plants were the smallest all summer long and have only finally come into their own in the past month.  I have pot and a garden and on the average, the ones in the garden filled out better and grew larger than the pots.  I did notice a big different in plants in the 5 gallon pots verse plants in the 12 gallon pots.  They do seem to like to have more room for their roots in my limited experience.

Your experience with the early start date mirror mine this year.  I figured I was going to get a jump on the season, but the early start seemed to make a lot of the plants stall out for quite a while.  Not a good move.

You had a great grow - productive and you found  lot of things to do with your peppers.  Congratulations!
Have fun planning next year's grow.  It won't be long before we're starting all over again.

Fine glog.  I enjoyed checking in from time to time.  

PaulG said:
Excellent summary of your season, John!  I agree about the Manzano - one of the best peppers going.
Also had the same experience with an early start for my chinenses this season.  I'll move the start date
forward a few weeks this year.  They stall out even in the greenhouse when I start on Jan. 1st; seems
like June is always a cruddy month for peppers after a decent May, so maybe if they are a little younger,
they might handle it better.  I'm still trying to decide what to grow next year.  35 plants maximum.

You had a nice grow and should be ready to roll next season.
I'll be looking for your glog!

Thanks Paul!

So does that 35 plants include overwinters? Your grow is always an inspiring read. 10 foot tall plants!

bpwilly said:
Nice summary about your experiences this year.  Got me thinking about my own year and what worked and what did not work.  Will definitely have to try and capture those thoughts and use them to improve on next year.  Interesting that your plants did better in the root pouches than the soil.  I had the exact opposite experience.  I only had 2 fabric root pouches, but those plants were the smallest all summer long and have only finally come into their own in the past month.  I have pot and a garden and on the average, the ones in the garden filled out better and grew larger than the pots.  I did notice a big different in plants in the 5 gallon pots verse plants in the 12 gallon pots.  They do seem to like to have more room for their roots in my limited experience.

Your experience with the early start date mirror mine this year.  I figured I was going to get a jump on the season, but the early start seemed to make a lot of the plants stall out for quite a while.  Not a good move.

I was expecting the plants in the ground to do better myself, but it was a brand new raised bed. The soil may still need some time to get established. Will have to repeat the experiment next year!

cone9 said:
You had a great grow - productive and you found  lot of things to do with your peppers.  Congratulations!
Have fun planning next year's grow.  It won't be long before we're starting all over again.

Fine glog.  I enjoyed checking in from time to time.  

Thanks! I can't help but suspect that our unusually long and hot summer played more than a small part in making the peppers happy. And advice from THP. We'll see what next year brings. Hopefully, lots of pods!  :party:

Back