• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Blue Tomatoes for my Salsa

Well its a month or two early to start any seedling, but I got word from a Plant breeder in Canada that he will be sending me some seeds down about the end of December. One variety of tomato which is still being developed is called OSU Blue which is a off shoot of P20 Blue. The Variety that I will be getting is one that uses a high production high flavor determent variety "Make My Day X OSU Blue which sets out 20 to 30 Pounds of Tomatoes that start out very deep blue to almost black fruit which ripens to a deep red. This is not a GMO, but a natural cross of a wild variety and a production tomato that is being worked on to improve its flavor and size. The MMD X OSU is not quite stable F4, so I'll get several shapes and sizes from it, but well worth the trouble of growing if nothing more than it being very unusual.
I will be getting some different varieties of melons set along, which promise to hold some disease resistance that I need so much here.
With half the country under snow here in the states getting the seeds will give me something to think about. I did get one of my Favorite Catalogs from Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds www.rareseeds.com today, so I have some eye candy to look at while the temps are in the lower 20F mark. I can hardly wait to whip up a big batch of fresh Salsa using my home grown veggies, but till then I just have to make do with using what I have Canned last summer.
George W.

It's amazing the colors of Tomato Salsa you can make. Red ,Green ,White ,Yellow ,Orange ,Black\Purple never really managed to find all the right ingredients to make a "true" blue salsa.

WILD,
Is this what you are looking for?

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

Best;
Bluey

PS If you wish to reply, please do so at email: bluelytes at yahoo dot com

bluey, any pics of a cut blue tomato?

I have grown purple prince tomatoes, they ripen to purple. I did everything to convince myself that they had exceptional flavour, better than any red tomato I ever had but alas, I was just fooling myself, for the most part they were unflavourable.

Interesting George. That sounds like a good combo of genetics. I've grown several variants of OSU Blue Fruit. One with flavor would be a nice attribute. :) Keep me informed.

Chris

Back