• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Blueberry, Raspberry, and Scorpions

My first sauce, based off a caribbeanpot.com recipe
28764943592_8386dd5ac7_z.jpg

Mix of 1 pint blueberries,1 pint Raspberries, 2 Green Onion, 2 Lime & 2 Mandarin Orange Juice, White Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Honey, Salt, and a touch of All Spice. Peppers: 2 Fresno, 8 Trinidad Sweet Cherry, 1 7 Pot Primo, 5 CARDI Scorpion, 4 7 Pot Bubblegum.

28585204080_a193b1dea0_z.jpg

Cooked down, and then strained. Added 1/4 tsp of Xanthan gum, which gave the perfect consistency. Sanitized all bottles and caps with Star-San. Checked PH <4, and then hot-filled bottles.

28764943702_2ed41c7558_z.jpg

Taste: Slight sweet blueberry jam taste upfront, following by lasting full mouth heat. Going to be great on grilled chicken/pork.

dragonsfire said:
Blueberries are very versitile and make great flavour partners. The recent Cran/Blueberry sauce I made recently is going to me enhance in my next batch.
I have been looking for a cranberry sauce. Care to share your recipe and notes for next time?

sail&brew said:

Here is the recipe I based mine on. I followed the same process in general, but strained the sauce after cooking it down, add 1/4 t Xanthan blended, and then brought it back up to 180F before bottling. I used a blend of peppers I had on hand from my garden.

My Version (4 x 150 ml woozy bottles)
Notes: I would only use 1 lime (pH was 3.2). Remove Honey [brown sugar was enough]. Increase peppers by 25% to go from medium to hot [It has a smooth full mouth heat now, but increasing peppers would bring it closer to heartbreaking dawns 1498 (one of my fav)]

2 limes juice (54 ml)
2 Mandarin orange juice (120 ml)
4 cups blueberries + 4 cups raspberries (641 grams)
2 green onions chopped (29 g)
Honey 2 T
Brown Sugar 1/2 C 
White Vinegar 1/2 C
Sea Salt 1 t
All Spice (ground) 1/4 t

Chilies
2 Fresno (150 g)
8 Trinidad Sweet Cherry (30 g)
5 CARDI Scorpion (29 g)
1 7-Pot Primo (6 g)
4 7-Pot Bubblegum (14 g)

In this recipe you use T and t for measurements. is this Tablespoon and teaspoon, respectively?

Back