• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bluesman´s 2015

This season is a wild season. Previous seasons I have my greenhouse 90% full of chilis, now very little.

I´ll post some pics of a typical season in Finland.

150213d.jpg

150213, the basement of my house. NFT:s.

GH1.jpg

Problem. 010413.

GH2.jpg

Solution.

takaosa.jpg

The seedlings in. 100413.

bmj1.jpg

Bonda ma Jacques 040513.

bmj2.jpg

takahuone.jpg

Bonda%2520080713c.jpg

Bonda ma Jacques produced  13,5kg (29lbs) during the season.

Next time I post I try not to put so many fotos.

rocsalsa.jpg

Here are the 4h smoked rocotoslices going to be fermented. The ingredients are; 3,5 kg of lightly smoked (apple wood) rocotos, 55g of sea salt, onions (should be more but our chicken dug the small ones off the soil while searching worms), garlic (160g specimen in  the bucket). The ceramic fermentation pot on the right. Have to put weightstones to be sure all the stuff is under water. If you mah the ingredients into puré, you don´t need any weight on top. I prefer to puré the mass after the fermentation process but that´s just my style. No matter how you do it, the final resut is just supertasty salsa! You may start tasting the stuff after 4 weeks but wait a bit more, to 6 weeks or more, then it shows how good a chilisalsa can be.

Bluesman said:
rocsalsa.jpg

Here are the 4h smoked rocotoslices going to be fermented. The ingredients are; 3,5 kg of lightly smoked (apple wood) rocotos, 55g of sea salt, onions (should be more but our chicken dug the small ones off the soil while searching worms), garlic (160g specimen in  the bucket). The ceramic fermentation pot on the right. Have to put weightstones to be sure all the stuff is under water. If you mah the ingredients into puré, you don´t need any weight on top. I prefer to puré the mass after the fermentation process but that´s just my style. No matter how you do it, the final resut is just supertasty salsa! You may start tasting the stuff after 4 weeks but wait a bit more, to 6 weeks or more, then it shows how good a chilisalsa can be.

Oh my that sounded tasty....I really need to try to do that at some point!

ronniedeb said:
NIce pods Bluesman. What is the Pi355814 like?

A bit similar to Aji cristal. A pleasant taste and medium heat with good productivity makes it an allround bacca.
Hard to get seeds though but I´ll send you some later before November. That is the time to sow Rocotos, especially this Riesen gelb.
I wish I can brake 200g limit. Got several pods still growing and are much bigger than I measured. This is the rocoto you need!

Bluesman said:

A bit similar to Aji cristal. A pleasant taste and medium heat with good productivity makes it an allround bacca.
Hard to get seeds though but I´ll send you some later before November. That is the time to sow Rocotos, especially this Riesen gelb.
I wish I can brake 200g limit. Got several pods still growing and are much bigger than I measured. This is the rocoto you need!
That's a very kind offer Bluesman. Thank you. I plan on having less chinense and more baccatum and pubescens next year. I'll take your advice and sow my pubescens earlier. They usually dont fruit until the 2nd year for me. How big are your hanging baskets for the pubescens? do you support the branches with yo-yos or something when they carry fruit?

ronniedeb said:
That's a very kind offer Bluesman. Thank you. I plan on having less chinense and more baccatum and pubescens next year. I'll take your advice and sow my pubescens earlier. They usually dont fruit until the 2nd year for me. How big are your hanging baskets for the pubescens? do you support the branches with yo-yos or something when they carry fruit?

The hanging baskets I use are 10 litres but 12 l would suit rocotos better. Next season I´ll install an automatic watering system to keep my wife happy. Then we can go for a holiday trip without worries for at least a week. I have already bought Blumatsystem but i guess I was just lazy not to install it for this sason.
 You have to support the branches because you are pressing out of the plant much more heavy pods than it would ever do on its natural habitat.
Yo-yo´s alone won´t stand the weight, that is why I use 1,2mm synthetic fibre.

Bluesman said:

The hanging baskets I use are 10 litres but 12 l would suit rocotos better. Next season I´ll install an automatic watering system to keep my wife happy. Then we can go for a holiday trip without worries for at least a week. I have already bought Blumatsystem but i guess I was just lazy not to install it for this sason.
 You have to support the branches because you are pressing out of the plant much more heavy pods than it would ever do on its natural habitat.
Yo-yo´s alone won´t stand the weight, that is why I use 1,2mm synthetic fibre.
Thanks Bluesman

Ronnie, you should put at least 3 PI 585273 Montufars in hanging baskets. The earliest rocoto to ripen 4 months from germination.
Just cover from your heavy winds and they´ll manage under +16C temps for a long time. Light is a must because the original growing area is at the altitude of 2000m or even more. Montufar is a town in Ecuador.

Bluesman said:
Ronnie, you should put at least 3 PI 585273 Montufars in hanging baskets. The earliest rocoto to ripen 4 months from germination.
Just cover from your heavy winds and they´ll manage under +16C temps for a long time. Light is a must because the original growing area is at the altitude of 2000m or even more. Montufar is a town in Ecuador.
Yeah. I grew the Montufar from seeds you sent me last year. It did well. This year the overwintered plant has produced 1 unripe pod so far. I'll sow some more seed for next year. Thanks again!
Bluesman said:
lance%2525202015.jpg

A Lance without leaves.

Looks almost like Musical Notation. 

justecila said:

Just wondering how is your Cabai Burung Ungu doing :drooling:

I cut it down and threw it to compost. It vacuumed all aphids and was suffering. Pods started to drop and it had hardly any leaves left.

Cabai%252520burung%252520ungu.jpg

Not much of a crop. The plant reached 3m height.

Bluesman said:
I cut it down and threw it to compost. It vacuumed all aphids and was suffering. Pods started to drop and it had hardly any leaves left.

Cabai%2520burung%2520ungu.jpg

Not much of a crop. The plant reached 3m height.
Sorry to hear my friend!! Had to pull one myself was horrible !!

Back