• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

romy6 said:
 Beautiful Jeff. And that choc cayenne is calling my name  :fireball:

Its only in Gen 2, but it is looking promising.
KiNGDeNNiZ said:
looks amazing... soon you wont see that ladder anymore!

Thanks!!!  Those beans are starting to set on too.  With my diet change, there will be even more beans canned this year.  Got a 5th row in the back garden.  

I am looking forward to fresh green beans in a crock pot with onion soup mix, onions, carrots, potatoes, and polish!!!!  

thecollegekid said:
what is the cajun salsa you speak of. im looking for some things to do with my bajio peppers this year.

It is just salsa made up with cayenne peppers in it and canned.  It has some other goodies in it as well, but basically a salsa.  I put bajio in any tomato based dish.  It alters the flavor in a wonderful way.

Decided to do some weeding close to the plants which requires crawling through the rows.  It does give me the chance to check out each plant up close.  Removed some pods for stirfry and to help out the plants.

One of my Jimmy plants.

2.jpg

Patio Red

22.jpg

Must check out this one's flavor.

222.jpg

Looks a little big to be a Santa Fe Grande to me.

2222.jpg

The main tomato patch

22222.jpg

Pickles are starting to reach for the fence.

222222.jpg

Just some pods for the stirfry.

2222222.jpg

Onion Patch

22222222.jpg

Meager start to the herb garden.

222222222.jpg

The Chinchi is podding up nicely now.

3Chinchi.jpg

Ripe Jimmys that are going on top of some chicken breasts tonight.

3Jimmy.jpg

My red savina looks a little odd to me.

3Savina.jpg

TS is growing well.

3TS.jpg

First baby Bishops coming on.

3bishop.jpg

Got a couple cherry bombs that will make the dinner tonight.

3cb.jpg

Fish will make it to the table as well.  Not seeing any varigation though.

3fish.jpg

Here is one of my mystery plants podding.

3mystery.jpg

And the first Cherry Tomatoes are ready to eat.
3Tomato.jpg

Finally able to get the fatalii pic to show up.

3Fatalii.jpg

You might have noticed that the storms have beaten some of the older leaves up in the past.  Lots of wind in the storm yesterday and calling for more all week long.  Should be able to slip away fishing Thursday and Friday though.

Very nice, Bo!  You are getting some great pods, and all your garden
spaces look productive.  Hope you have a great summer and your
grow continues to progress well.

Looking good, Bodeen.  My blackberries aren't even turning red yet and you've got raspberries already.  On the other hand, my shallots and potato onions will be ready to dig in three weeks or so and I ate the entirety of my blueberry crop last weekend (one hand full).

The last couple of rounds of pics have been really good BD! I'm a little jealous of your ripe pods, but I expect I'll get over it when mine start to really kick in... :)  You've obviously been working hard in the garden and you got it goin' on brother. Have fun wetting a line...

Sawyer said:
Looking good, Bodeen.  My blackberries aren't even turning red yet and you've got raspberries already.  On the other hand, my shallots and potato onions will be ready to dig in three weeks or so and I ate the entirety of my blueberry crop last weekend (one hand full).
My blackberries aren't turning yet either.  They don't ripen until July.  Been eating a lot of the onions as green onions as I thin the rows. Gotta buy my blueberries next month when they come in.  Love em frozen with a little sugar.

stickman said:
The last couple of rounds of pics have been really good BD! I'm a little jealous of your ripe pods, but I expect I'll get over it when mine start to really kick in... :)  You've obviously been working hard in the garden and you got it goin' on brother. Have fun wetting a line...

Storms blowing through just about every day this week so getting a wet line could be hard.  I am sure your pods will be kicking soon.

meatfreak said:

That looks an awful lot like ajijoe's Chocolate Handgrenade I grew last season :)

I got it in a seed swap I believe.  Time will tell lol.

Looking good there. Beautiful layout and foliage.

Did you plant the cucs out late? Your peppers seem to be beating mine by a good margin but I've had to chop vines off my cucumbers to keep them from taking over the garden.

I get some wild blackberries, but unless I pick em the day they turn ripe the birds always get em first.

Also, that patio red is puttin out some serious pods despite looking quite tiny.

Bodeen said:
...blueberries...  Love em frozen with a little sugar.
I'd forgotten all about that.  That was one of my favorite snacks once upon a time.

Peptacular said:
Looking good there. Beautiful layout and foliage.

Did you plant the cucs out late? Your peppers seem to be beating mine by a good margin but I've had to chop vines off my cucumbers to keep them from taking over the garden.

I get some wild blackberries, but unless I pick em the day they turn ripe the birds always get em first.

Also, that patio red is puttin out some serious pods despite looking quite tiny.

Planted them in late May, perhaps a little late, but don't plant much before the 15th.  Pickle fence in the back keeps the vines from taking over the garden, makes it easier to spot the pickles when the ripen so you don't end up with yellow bellies, and saves the back a lot.  

I've been picking off the pods as I need them for cooking or salads.  Helps the plants put energy into the growth and not the pods.  Hate eating green pods, but fresh peppers are still good.

Sawyer said:
I'd forgotten all about that.  That was one of my favorite snacks once upon a time.

I used to grab a quart of them out of the freezer when I got home from school and put some sugar on them and sit in front of the TV.  

Back