• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bokashi Bin

Hi,
I have been using Bokashi bins for a year or so but I have never been able to get that pickled smell, mine always smells rancid. It's so bad now even if I soak it in chlorine bleach for a day, the smell remains in the bucket.
I've checked there are no air leaks, the lid is placed on properly, the valve seals correctly. It sits in the kitchen - no direct sunlight. I drain it every other day. I've tried with with whole handfuls of EM every time something is added but still no change in the smell. I've stopped adding meat and moldy stuff but still doesn't help.
It's one of those smells that just doesn't off anything it touches either. Even my nostrils get stained with the smell.

Any ideas?

I've never heard of them so I had to look it up. http://www.todae.com.au/EcoFriendlyHomeOrganicLiving/Bokashi-Bucket-FAQs

Number 1 do not put meal into it its only for greens the other thing is you can spray lacto into the bucket and the smell will go away

Small amounts of meat are said to be ok but i'm with Al i wouldn't put meat in there. The smell you describe is the smell of death!
:)

I'm an avid composter and vermicomposter, but bokashi shouldn't be done in bins. Veggie waste, coffee grounds and paper are fine, but even bokashi can't digest meat before it goes rancid. I think it was traditionally done in pits outside. Don't get me wrong, it makes great fertilizer, EVENTUALLY, but stinks to high hell in the mean time.

Number 1 do not put meal into it its only for greens the other thing is you can spray lacto into the bucket and the smell will go away

EM1 contains Lactobacillus casei, shouldn't that be enough?

Small amounts of meat are said to be ok but i'm with Al i wouldn't put meat in there. The smell you describe is the smell of death!
:)

I've noticed Neil uses Bokashi composting a lot, do you know if his stinks?

I'm an avid composter and vermicomposter, but bokashi shouldn't be done in bins. Veggie waste, coffee grounds and paper are fine, but even bokashi can't digest meat before it goes rancid. I think it was traditionally done in pits outside. Don't get me wrong, it makes great fertilizer, EVENTUALLY, but stinks to high hell in the mean time.

Aren't all the microorganisms in EM1 anaerobic? Why would a bin not be ideal? The bin simply pickles the waste, then it goes in the ground for a month and comes out fanatically rich, nice smelling compost. I just wish I didn't have to vacate the house every time I opened the bin. (ahhh, just realised you were talking specifically about meat, yeah I stopped putting meat in it, it just took the rancid smell to a whole new level)

Perhaps I'm not squishing it down enough, I'll try squishing the s*** out of it this time around and see if it makes it better.

I wouldn't have a clue if Neils stinks or not, wouldn't be from meat if it did cuz he turned vegetarian on us!

I use home made lacto its alive when I spray it my buckets never smell or my compost pile i spray every time I turn it

Edit edit: When i was at Neils place not long ago i smelt his Bokashi and it waa all good. Smelt sweet.

That would be traditional composting, where the advantage of bokashi is that it can take some citrus, meat and fats.

I even toss some bones in there. I don't find a whole lot of anything left after it's been buried for a few months. Anything left over goes back in the hole.

Back