• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bolivian Rainbow bonchi

This year I decided I wanted to try and grow a chili plant year round and decided on a bolivian rainbow pepper. After starting quite a few I selected the plant with the phenotype I liked most (vigor, leaf shape, leaf color). To start, the plants were a bit crowded causing them to grow lanky. I decided to top/prune to shape the plant into a bushier plant with one main stem in a bonsai-type shape. I picked buds for a while to discourage fruit setting so that the plant could put more energy into growth. The plant has now been brought indoors, where I will continue to prune and shape it to my liking. Here are a few progress pictures. IMG_20160822_154929664 by Andrew Sodergren, on Flickr
IMG_20160831_191919797 by Andrew Sodergren, on Flickr
IMG_20161113_145040481 by Andrew Sodergren, on Flickr

:welcome:  aboard,nice to see another Nutmegger here. also have a BR that is growing/going strong  in my GH.  its one of my favs. ;)

Your plant looks healthy & lovely.

Thank you both! It has been reacting well to multiple toppings, and selective pruning in order for me to get the growth and shape I am looking for. Now that it has come indoors I expect slowed progress until the spring but it still appears to be sending out plenty of new growth and flowers. Vigorous little plant. I'll continue to post progress updates periodically.

Absolutely LOVE this pepper!  Your plant looks very healthy.  My dog ate mine, peppers and all along with my ornamental thai.  We were not friends for a few days after that.

Back