• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Bonaire hot sauce

I'm trying to re-create the hot sauce I had while windsurfing in Bonaire the Dutch Antilles. While not really a sauce as such it seemed to be a thin uncooked mixture of vinegar, onions and spice/scotch bonnet peppers, maybe a bit of sugar. i only ever saw it in the small non-touristy local/black establishments [The Rose Inn & Maikey's Snack} It was plenty hot, always on the table in a covered jar with a little spoon to ladle it out. The locals seemed quite surprised that my buddy and I ordered the goat dishes, used lots of hot sauce ,then hoovered it all up.
tim

theres some europeans that visit this site once in awhile, you could PM them to see if they know. like coop, donnie, frank, bbq-phil. they might know ?

First of all...welcome to THP...

closest person on here I know is Chiliac from Germany and RainbowBerry from the UK....seems there was someone else from that area but I can't remember who it was...Biscombe is from Spain...

I forgot about chiliac. frank & bbq-phil are from germany. coop & donnie are from denmark. I didnt list rainbowberry because shes not from that area & figured she wouldnt know about that local sauce, but then again you never know ?

It's called Pika. Welcome to THP.

Classic Bonaire Pika

1 large white onion, sliced
4 habanero peppers, seeds and stems removed, minced
2 cups vinegar
Dash of salt

Combine all the ingredients in a jar and seal. Let it marinate for 2 to 3 hours.

Thanks for the help, PIKA... may be a diminutive of picante.
It's going down to -29c tonight in the ''valley'' , but my summer crop of hot peppers are up, green and growing on the window sill.
tim

Back