• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bonchi Project

Well, I thought I had control of the aphids. I was still spraying regularly for a couple of weeks after the last of them were dead, just in case. I though all was well so I stopped spraying, and they immediately came back, worse than ever. This time, I wasn't taking any chances. 

I pulled every plant out of its pot and thoroughly rinsed it off to wash away any aphids and eggs, then soaked each one, roots and all, in a soapy solution for several minutes. Once finished there, I rinsed them in a bucket of fresh water, then repotted them with new soil, which has been frozen a couple of times already, and should not have any live bugs or eggs in it anymore. I removed all plants from my grow area, thoroughly vacuumed it out, and am letting it sit for two weeks with sticky traps before any plants go back in. I am going to keep spraying my plants on a weekly basis until the end of the year, just to make totally, 100% sure these little bastards never come back. If the infestation returns, I might just have to scrap the project completely. Wish me luck!

I also tossed out a few plants that were less desirable. I ditched my douglah plant (it was throwing out red pods anyway) and my Perfume plant, as well as one of the reapers that just wasn't doing as well as the rest. Less plants = less chance of aphids coming back

Why don't you use some insecticide?
I had the same problems with my office grown white habanero's, sprayed some stuff and it finally killed them off (after trying washing them and asphixiating them).
Active substance in it was acetamiprid 20%; I'm thinking names might differ but I assume the substance is the same. (in my country it was called Mospilan)

Mene,  you have been hard at work.  I got aphids on a plant indoors and used "Eight" a garden dust from Bonide.  Safe for Veggies.  I started a bonchi a few weeks ago.  It is a c. Rhomboideum.  Hopefully it grows into something like what is on fatalii.net.  Have a look.  Not sure if I will keep the smooth stone the plant rests on.  I need to get some training wire.

wUgXhqpl.jpg

I haven't posted in here for a while. I got pretty lazy on my grow after a while. I finally got rid of the aphids (I think) but I do have some unusual force trying to take my plants. Thought it was dead aphids at first, but they're too small. Little yellow dots on the leaves. I spray with dish soap and water, and they go away for a few weeks, then slowly reappear. I've started just spraying a little bit every day and haven't seen them in weeks. 

I lost most of my bonchis. They were doing well, but the aphid treatment was too much for some to handle. They were alive, but unhealthy. I had to direct my attention other places, so I let a few die and just kept my two best reaper plants alive (the ones that threw the pods in my profile picture) because the pods are just so mean. I am hoping to keep them alive, and one is actually doing very well. They need a soil transplant, which should happen next month when I can get my hands on some Happy Frog soil. Never used it, but hear it is great. My healthy plant has buds all over and even a few healthy flowers. I am not sure if it will push pods with its current diet of almost no nutrients, but we will see. I am just trying to keep them living until I can get them in bigger pots and quality soil! 

Anyway, I'll post up some pics later. Wish me luck! 

Give them a break and use water to wash the plants, I hold them under the bathtub taps, brightens them up and keeps the bugs in check.
Good Luck ! :cheers:

Back