• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bonda mahala

Another pick of bonda mahala yesterday. The light green ones are defo hotter but have a much nicer, fruitier flavour too.

7d0e14d4d8f8f696abad0dbe58a86527.jpg
Light green

0d279afcb0ef2f447e76161e3fce72bb.jpg
Dark green

Thanks so much guys for growing Bonda Mahala!!! Those are some beautiful plants....and the pod shapes are perfect!!! My grow this season was at F7, and I am still getting the same two phenotypes you have there phillyb86...I will strive to maintain this variety with these two phenotypes in each population, much as the breeders of the Oaxacan landrace variety Chilhuacle Rojo have done for centuries now...

My plants were quite large this year...I'll get a video uploaded to YouTube ASAP...

Thanks again for growing this pepper!!!

windchicken said:
Thanks so much guys for growing Bonda Mahala!!! Those are some beautiful plants....and the pod shapes are perfect!!! My grow this season was at F7, and I am still getting the same two phenotypes you have there phillyb86...I will strive to maintain this variety with these two phenotypes in each population, much as the breeders of the Oaxacan landrace variety Chilhuacle Rojo have done for centuries now...

My plants were quite large this year...I'll get a video uploaded to YouTube ASAP...

Hey Gary, how did those Bonda MaDreadie seeds do? I started a few with some Papa Dreadie seeds that came in pods you sent me last year this last season, nothing wanted to germinate.

stettoman said:

Hey Gary, how did those Bonda MaDreadie seeds do? I started a few with some Papa Dreadie seeds that came in pods you sent me last year this last season, nothing wanted to germinate.

Hi Eric! I didn't get a chance to sow that one...I've cut way, way back on growing unstable crosses. Now that NagaBrain and Bonda Mahala are essentially stable, I'm focusing more on production...

How was your grow this year? I haven't been on THP in quite a while, and I know I've missed a lot...

windchicken said:

Hi Eric! I didn't get a chance to sow that one...I've cut way, way back on growing unstable crosses. Now that NagaBrain and Bonda Mahala are essentially stable, I'm focusing more on production...

How was your grow this year? I haven't been on THP in quite a while, and I know I've missed a lot...

Your absence was noticed. Last season was a real letdown, a weather debacle from Spring (very little) to Fall (none at all--we went straight into winter) with a chaotic roller coaster Summer.

Little joy on the Chinense, though I did have some luck with an Aji Arnaucho from seed sent by Greenchilemonster. I'm a glutton, will try Papa Dreadie and Bonda MaDreadie again this Spring.

Sorry if I hijacked, though I did mention Bonda....

Awesome vid Gary. Wish we had that kind of weather here in north east UK. I still managed 1.7kg (297 pods) from the darker pheno

stettoman said:

Your absence was noticed. Last season was a real letdown, a weather debacle from Spring (very little) to Fall (none at all--we went straight into winter) with a chaotic roller coaster Summer.

Little joy on the Chinense, though I did have some luck with an Aji Arnaucho from seed sent by Greenchilemonster. I'm a glutton, will try Papa Dreadie and Bonda MaDreadie again this Spring.

Sorry if I hijacked, though I did mention Bonda....

Sorry about that Eric...I'm counting on your having a much better 2019...

Chewi said:

Mhhmmmm. We see......we see.....

Lol Rob!!! How ya doing bud? You going to Zestfest?

phillyb86 said:
Awesome vid Gary. Wish we had that kind of weather here in north east UK. I still managed 1.7kg (297 pods) from the darker pheno

Thanks Philly! That you grew such amazing plants so far north gives me all the more admiration and respect for your mad skills and dedication. Again, thanks so much for growing Mahala Pepper!!!

windchicken said:

The plants in your video are impressive. Really wide canopies with plenty of outward branching and pods.
I noticed you had mounded the mulch and soil around the base and drip irrigation it looked like. Was the root ball raised above soil level?
I have one Bonda Mahala plant that is doing well. I got the seed from WhiteHotPeppers.

Mr. West said:

The plants in your video are impressive. Really wide canopies with plenty of outward branching and pods.
I noticed you had mounded the mulch and soil around the base and drip irrigation it looked like. Was the root ball raised above soil level?
I have one Bonda Mahala plant that is doing well. I got the seed from WhiteHotPeppers.

Thanks so much MW, and thanks for growing Mahala!!! Yes, the clay and iron content is very high in this garden, and I've found that building nice tall beds to improve drainage really helps with plant vigor and productivity...

Chewi said:

Yup, not going to miss two years in a row!

I'll see ya there bud!

Here's some photos of my Mahala plant. Its the tallest one, in the front. (That is, since I moved the only taller plant outside, a Bonda Ma Jacques.) It has responded very well to topping. with even branching and fast leaf/stem regeneration. It's the closest plant to my more powerful purple lamp and getting the most intense light from the LED. The profile picture shows how symmetrical its growth is.
jsPEJsH.jpg

The two overhead pictures are pre & post topping (3rd).

Emv7Qi8.jpg

XI4J2DH.jpg

bpiela said:
Here is a pic of the last bunch of pods I pulled from my plant this season.  I hope these are a good pheno.  I saved the seeds and hope to grow again next season.

IGCbmK2.jpg
Looks good. I had the 2 phenos last year and carried on the light green unripe version

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back