• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bone meal...better options?

I heard it can take up to 30 days to become available for the plant but don't let that stop you from using it I would only use like 2 tablespoon and mix in good because it high in phosphorus most soil contains plenty for plants life most are sold like 3 nitrogen 15 phosphorus 0 potash. It never to late to use it tho the plant will eventually get it
I used bone meal this what I got

http://imgur.com/ABcHONo
http://imgur.com/nSh0NIu

crow said:
How much egg shells would you recommend me to add into 7 gallon pots per plant. I am starting to transplant about 20 habs in 30 minutes or so, and I have my blender ready to crush the shells. Got a lot of shells I was saving over the winter.
One egg shell per gallon of soil, providing your pot is big enough for the plant at full size. If it's not then you're going to have to start treating it like hydro and water in more Cal later. That's only what I do - your soil and/or water may have more or less calcium already in it than mine does.

PS - all those leftover seeds from this year's plants are a good source of magnesium to add to the soil at end of season or early in spring. If they sprout just turn them under at least a few weeks before transplant time and keep the soil damp so they decompose.
mrgrowguy said:
It really only equates to adding about 10-20 bucks per year for one more amendment to the many we are already buying, making it a very small percentage of the overall cost to grow.
Remember that not everyone does that. ADDING 10-20 a year? I don't spent $10 a year in total on amendments. My plants are quite happy with kitchen and yard waste that's free.

Why does a bucket of grass compost tea smell like manure? Because cows compost grass too. I'm just sayin' that these animals' bones that make bonemeal, got calcium from somewhere...

Dave2000 said:
Remember that not everyone does that. ADDING 10-20 a year? I don't spent $10 a year in total on amendments. My plants are quite happy with kitchen and yard waste that's free.

You are absolutely right, but the minimum wage in California will cover that with 1 hour of work per year. Just sayin'.

Dave2000 said:
One egg shell per gallon of soil, providing your pot is big enough for the plant at full size. If it's not then you're going to have to start treating it like hydro and water in more Cal later. That's only what I do - your soil and/or water may have more or less calcium already in it than mine does.
PS - all those leftover seeds from this year's plants are a good source of magnesium to add to the soil at end of season or early in spring. If they sprout just turn them under at least a few weeks before transplant time and keep the soil damp so they decompose.

Why does a bucket of grass compost tea smell like manure? Because cows compost grass too. I'm just sayin' that these animals' bones that make bonemeal, got calcium from somewhere...
Where's your glog?

^ glog takes time. My intent and success has been reducing time (and expense). Slow release calcium like from eggshells or bone meal suits that intent.

Back