• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bonnie Plant with Verticillium Wilt

So I bought my self a Bonnie plant from Lowes and the first few days it was dropping its leaves and then the stem was rotting i had to contact the website for more information, They told me that the plant had Verticillium wilt, not completely sure what that is but they just said to throw away the plant, its not much loss but a great variety, I want to plant another one in the same pot, but my Question is will the Next pepper plant suffer from the same disseas if i plant it in the same Soil?

Before anything I just wana say im not trying to put dirt on that brand, i like buying there plants so don't get me wrong.

Before anything I just wana say im not trying to put dirt on that brand, i like buying there plants so don't get me wrong.

I'm not really sure how to answer your question, but I can comment. I've purchased plants from nurseries, chain home development stores, local feed stores, and even grocery stores over the years. I have experienced different problems with all of them. I have learned to keep them isolated for a while until they start to show their true colors. Most of the time I have just experienced various bugs that come home with them, not really diseases. Doesn't mean that those plants are not a good resource to have, just be cautious when introducing them to your garden. On the other hand, if your garden is what is causing the problems, you might have to evaluate plants in the garden and ones that are not as comparison. Where to go from there after, I am not sure.

It is a soil borne disease, I would not re-use the soil unless it has been sterilized. The soil would have to reach a temperature of about 170 degrees Farhenheit for 30 minutes to kill the bacteria.

The time and temp comes from my Greenhouse Operation and Management textbook on the subject of root substrate pasteurization.

Pretty sure v. wilt is a fungus. Chances are it is in your soil. If it isn't in your soil, it may be in the air. I don't know of a sure fire way to get rid of a fungus completely (other than an aweful chemical that you have to saturate your garden with and cover with poly and let it sit). Maybe the boiling water will work, I'm not an expert on that.

I've never had v. wilt, but since growing blight infected tomato plants bought at a Home Depot (I think), I struggle with early tomato blight every year. I use Bonide Copper Dust to try to prevent it, and it has held it off enough for me to get a normal yield the past few years. But I still have infected leaves, and subsequent branches, which I prune and spray. Somehow it has never spread to my pepper plants, which I plant right next to my tomatoes.

I believe the copper will prevent or reduce the symptoms of v. wilt and f. wilt as well as blights (all fungi). However, once the plant gets it, it has it until it dies. You have to be religious with it, meaning before rain make sure your plants are coated liberally. The more rain, the more likely your plants are going to show fungus symptoms, since it is in your soil, and fungi thrives in the wet. Copper is an organic fungicide, but washing your fruit is recommended before eating.

Also to control V. Wilt, rotate where you plant your peppers and tomatoes every year. Of course that is not possible, then the next thing, you can try solarization of the infected garden area, but of course this requires it to not be planted for a year.

Pretty sure v. wilt is a fungus. Chances are it is in your soil. If it isn't in your soil, it may be in the air. I don't know of a sure fire way to get rid of a fungus completely (other than an aweful chemical that you have to saturate your garden with and cover with poly and let it sit). Maybe the boiling water will work, I'm not an expert on that.

I've never had v. wilt, but since growing blight infected tomato plants bought at a Home Depot (I think), I struggle with early tomato blight every year. I use Bonide Copper Dust to try to prevent it, and it has held it off enough for me to get a normal yield the past few years. But I still have infected leaves, and subsequent branches, which I prune and spray. Somehow it has never spread to my pepper plants, which I plant right next to my tomatoes.

I believe the copper will prevent or reduce the symptoms of v. wilt and f. wilt as well as blights (all fungi). However, once the plant gets it, it has it until it dies. You have to be religious with it, meaning before rain make sure your plants are coated liberally. The more rain, the more likely your plants are going to show fungus symptoms, since it is in your soil, and fungi thrives in the wet. Copper is an organic fungicide, but washing your fruit is recommended before eating.

quite likely also bonnie plants... they spread early blight all over the place a few years ago.

I just got some bonnie plants and they did the same, it is not your soil, it is the plants!!!!

Another note, I got some cayenne from bonnie then went to the same store a few days later and they had the "same" starts that where 3x the size, way healthier and already have blooms on them. I would of been better off not getting any untill later. So my plants will be smaller then those that came in later.....

Spicymeatball, you are correct. It is a fungus and not a bacteria. I was reading up on bacteria just before posting last night.

The same sterilaization methods work for viruses as well.

Well I talked to the People at Bonnie Plants and they just told me the same as you guys, so Thanks all of you, and they are going to send me a certificate for another plant, this next plant should be healthy...I hope.....

So sorry about your plant having v. wilt. Frustrating to say the least. Two years ago the whole community garden's tomatoes were infected with early blight (later in the season) that came from plants from a big box store. $$ to get the diagnosis, and more $$ wasted on time and effort to grow your own plants from seeds. Needless to say, the former 'gardeners' are just that - former.

Well lucky me, i was too lazy to plat the pepper plant in my back yard, it might of got the other ones, with the coupon im getting i might just get another plant and keep it very isolated, if its free i wont mind but ill be more judgemental on how healthy it looks, i guess it was my fault for not inspecting the plant before buying it, its like buying an open loaf of bread and telling the company its stale

MAFWIZ, I just went to there site told them the symptoms my plant had they automatically told me what it was and actually just told me to dump it, no point of trying to bring it back to life, very good people they even said that it happens with some plants out of the big stores, they said the certificate will be sent today, and next time you can get the healthiest plant in your nursery or store

Back