Bonsai trick for peppers

I was into Bonsai before I got into peppers, so I thought I try a trick we use for Bonsai on peppers.  The Idea is simple, selectively cut off leaves while the plant is fruiting to increase its ability to bare fruit.  So I tried it with one of my scotch bonnets I got from a local grocery store, here is the result, not bad for such a small plant.  This is 26cm tall (from soil to tip) and has 18 peppers on it. 

CAM00001-1024.jpg

Just let them go bro.  Just let them go.  Ive tried this a few times over the years and every time I got less pods than the plants that were left alone.  Ma Nature knows her shit so just let her do her thing.  The plant needs a certain amount of leaves to survive so by removing them they are going to try and make more.  Thus NOT concentrating on fruiting.

millworkman said:
Just let them go bro.  Just let them go.  Ive tried this a few times over the years and every time I got less pods than the plants that were left alone.  Ma Nature knows her shit so just let her do her thing.  The plant needs a certain amount of leaves to survive so by removing them they are going to try and make more.  Thus NOT concentrating on fruiting.

Hey bro, I totally agree with you, this is a short term gain, basically a trade off for the plant (more fruit now, smaller plant in the long run).  HOWEVER I think this trick would be useful when it comes to the last crop, for examp, here in Canada, nothing survives our crazy winters, so when sept or oct comes along, we apply this little trick, it will probably help people get a few extra peppers off their plants.  :)

Another thing to try is let the plant go till almost first frost/freeze then pull the plant. Hang it upside down in the garage or somewhere it wont freeze to let the pods ripen. Gets them a bit bigger and ultimately more fruit. Jeff (spicychicken) is in northern wisconsion I believe and has a terribly short growing season and uses this technique.

millworkman said:
Another thing to try is let the plant go till almost first frost/freeze then pull the plant. Hang it upside down in the garage or somewhere it wont freeze to let the pods ripen. Gets them a bit bigger and ultimately more fruit. Jeff (spicychicken) is in northern wisconsion I believe and has a terribly short growing season and uses this technique.
post-7027-0-19468600-1352841926_thumb.jpg

Works awesome, I did it with 40+ plants last year.

This was the final yield.

post-7027-0-93934400-1353964518_thumb.jpg

Back