• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Bottled my First Fermented Sauce Last night

So I am pretty pumped about this one. I had 28 days on my first ferment, and wanted to accelerate the bottling so I could taste it and tweak my process if needed. This is the batch of habaneros and orange bell peppers i started the day boere (or close to that) joining this forum. Orange bell peppers, habaneros, sea salt and water were all I put in. I used a clamp down style jar (2 of them) and went to town. Shortly after I pureed some mango and added that to the mix. No airlocks, no starters, and opening the jar are all not recommended but I was so much more a noob 3 weeks ago than now.

I tested the PH and it was 3.44. The flavor was close to what I was looking for, but needed a bit of salt and could use more complexity. This being the first batch I didn't alter it significantly. I cooked it up, added 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of xanathan gum, 1/2 teaspoon of ascorbic acid, and about a cup of Bragg unfiltered ACV to think it out. Gave it a good blend with the hand blender, and brought it back up to about 190 degrees. My bottles had been sitting in the oven for over an hour at 200 degrees. I sampled again and was really happy with the flavor. The heat came on very fast but settled just as quickly to a nice glow. I got 11 bottles out of it, and used the HFH method.

Its still a little thicker than I wanted. I ordered dasher bottles for the first, and possibly last time, using those for the HFH method. I think the dasher will need removal for serious use.

Lastly, I have some pics. Can anyone tell me how to upload them? I don't use image hosting services like image shack or photo bucket.

patrad said:
What is the HFH method?  I assume it is something like hot packing? 

Very similar process to what I have been doing but I like the use of ascorbic acid to adjust PH.  I need to go get some.  I also just ordered that pH meter.  Any tips to using it?  For some reason I always thought pH meters were prohibitively expensive so I've been dealing with strips.  My last sauces I feel have been too diluted since I'm adding too much vinegar.  I do also use Bragg though!  
Yes. First off I'd say don't sign up for the Etekcity promo of getting free stuff just to write a review. Its not free when they sell your personal info. As for the meter, definitely only use distilled water to clean it. I keep a measuring cup with some in it to put the meter in, in between samples. This will prevent disolved solids from accumulating on the probe. Also, considering it was only like $15 or something, allow for a .5 variation in either direction on your reading. If the meter says 3.5 you should assume its either 3 or 4. I like to check the readings against a test strip. My eyes tell me the meter has been 100% accurate so far, but I operate under the assumption that I'm the stupidest guy in the room; just to be safe.

So I bottled my final sauce of the season, giving me a total of 4 to give away for xmas. This one was aged 21 days and like the others, could have benefited from more time. It is quite tasty and is by far my hottest sauce yet. My PH was higher than I wanted it to be before cooking so I reduced it with some ACV. I added sea salt, and cane sugar to balance out the flavor.  Aside from the aging, I don't think there is anything I would change.

Bottled

PH before cooking

PH after cooking with ACV added

Had to edit as I had the wrong pic at first.

Pineapple, and some super hots. A mix I got from the grocery store. No garlic or onion. It doesn't taste fruity it sweet though. You taste the pineapple but only if you look for it, and it works way better than I thought it could.

Back