• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Bottom watering

I've read about how bottom watering is good for pepper plants since it prevents over watering, but how much water should you put in the pan of a 72 cell seed starting kit to do this?

When you're starting seeds you need to keep them moist. Bottom watering is when you have roots. It encourages them to go deeper.

Get yourself a misting bottle and mist the top of the soil. Good luck.

I'm with Dale. If the top of the soil is starting to look damp, they have had enough to drink.

When I am starting seeds, unless they are ultra hard to germinate (such as Brugmansia) I don't water them after the first time. I use plastic to-go trays, add about 1.5" of potting soil, plant the seeds and stick the tray in water until is so super saturated. The plastic lid goes on and it sit over a heat source. It takes the tray about 10-12 days before the soil starts getting dry and by then the seeds are normally up.

I think this is one reason my plants got so big this year - instead of taking 2-3 weeks to pop through through ground, it was a week or less. Plus they had larger roots and once I transplanted them into pots, they were able to grow a lot faster.

Mike

I water/feed from the bottom from the jump and it's worked real well for me. There are a lot of benefits to doing so, less change of over/under watering, disease, mess, ease and the plants love it. I just fill up the groves in the bottom of the tray and let them drink, add a little more if needed till the top of the soil is moist. Then just add water/feed filling og the groves every other day or so keeping the soil moist but not waterlogged...

Back