• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Botulism

I was just wondering if there exists an informative thread here regarding Botulism.
My knowledge of it is limited to say the least. I only heard about it a few weeks ago, and it SCARES the bejeesus outta me!!

Does it only concern hot sauces or any method of conserving/preserving peppers?

Thank you.

So near 64 million people canning and no reported cases of botulism from said canning.

You have about equal chances of getting botulism from canning your own food as you have of meeting Freddie Mercury.:D

Jeff H said:

Just a thought Jeff. I've been thinking back as far as my feeble mind will go trying to remember the last news article I saw concerning someone getting botulism from home canning. I can't remember ever hearing about any cases.

Big processing plants, yes. At least once a year there is a huge recall of some food because of botulism concerns.

Probably just us, the farmers and the preppers in this day and age. I can't believe there are many that go to the effort.

It's so much better doing it yourself though.  Easier to buy it canned, but so many positives from doing it from homemade.
Nova said:
So near 64 million people canning and no reported cases of botulism from said canning.

You have about equal chances of getting botulism from canning your own food as you have of meeting Freddie Mercury. :D

If you follow safe food handling processes....

I am pretty sure that out of near 64 million people some of them did not follow the rules of safe food handling Just a guess really but people are lazy and like to cut corners.

That is not to say that you shouldn't follow the rules of safe food handling.

I can't help but think that the whole risk of Botulism is blown way out of proportion, considering the numbers involved. I wonder who would benefit from people not canning more food at home...

rory said:
I was just wondering if there exists an informative thread here regarding Botulism.
My knowledge of it is limited to say the least. I only heard about it a few weeks ago, and it SCARES the bejeesus outta me!!

Does it only concern hot sauces or any method of conserving/preserving peppers?

Thank you.
Back to the OP~

Botulism SHOULD scare the bejeezuz out of you.  The best information regarding canning is found on the Ball Canning website, and several other university extention services websites.  Colorado State, Washington State, and MANY other state universities have recipes and canning processes posted.  They have simple instructions posted for most basic recipes.  Use those recipes and use common sense when altering the recipe to suit your tastes or produce availability.   

One example using Green Beans-
Green beans have no natural acidity like tomatoes, so the only way to safely preserve them is time/temp/pressure.  "Back in the day..." my grandmother would put the fresh green beans in canning jars and boil them in a large kettle for about 5 hours.  The extended cooking time with the boiling temperature was enough to kill all the Nasties.  

"Back in a more modern day"... (about 25 years ago)...I did the bonehead move of processing about 20 pints of green beans in a quick (30 minute) boiling water bath.  Stuck 'em in the pantry and about 3 week later they were all foaming over and bursting at the seams.  

I should have pressure cooked them for 20 minutes (which achieves a higher temperature than can be achieved from boiling water) or I should have boiled the jars for 4 hours.

Again, look for approved canning website recipes or approved extension service website recipes to start with.  

Beerbreath has posted a non-processed pickled pepper recipe that looks pretty solid.  If you have room to store refrigerated jars of goods, that would be a good recipe to follow.  

Mostly, for beginning canners, it's definitely best to follow approved recipes.

When in doubt, put it in the fridge! Then, no problem.

Also, the #1 risk food is infused oil.

When in doubt, put it in the fridge! Then, no problem.

Also, the #1 risk food is infused oil.

Gotcha!!

I had lunch with him last Thursday.

I m gonna send ye a batch of my first oil I made and ye can both enjoy Botulism together!!

In the meantime I m gonna practice safe food preparation.

:)

Back