• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela 2019 New Season, new hope

I was thinking about possibly taking a year off.   Last year was my best year growing but the pepper maggots turned me off so much that I lost interest and left way too many peppers on the plants.  I can't let this happen again. 

All this talk about the Sri Lanka Chili Red in the growdown for this season has gotten me pumped up.  I started looking at the ole seed collection and have come up with the start of a plan.  I gotta get those Sri Lankan Reds planted so here is my first group of peppers that I will plant.

Starting with all Chinense and of course a few cells for the Sri Lankas.  Using the same Parks BioDome's that I have used successfully in the past.  60 cells in a 10 row by 6 layout.  I split it down the middle and do 10 rows of 3 cells per pepper.

I am going to start with the "weird" stuff and some old stuff.

Right 10 rows
Agony F2 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Armageddon F4 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Boze Moj F4 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Centurion F1 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Ikaraka F2 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Insane F4 (Rainbow Chile Seeds)
Carbonero Sherwoods Cream (Walchit)
Ghost White w strain (Walchit)  (what the hay is a w strain?)
JPGS (Walchit)
Swamp Thing (Walchit)
Left 10 rows
Sri Lanka Chili Red  (Woot!)
Griefer  (Gnarly Pods)
Aryana's Chocolate Naga Viper (Gnarly Pods)
Yellow Stinger GP (Gnarly Pods)
Carolina Reaper (Juanitos)
White Bullet Habanero (Juanitos)  I love these!
Devil's Brain (Pepperlover)
Douglah Red (Pepperlover)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (ButchT.com)
I Scream Scropion (ButchT.com)

This is just a start.  Lots more to go.

Great update, Ben. You have some great pods on the vines!  :party:

Keep up the good work!

duckling.jpg

First ripe chinense.  It is a GP Yellow Stinger from Gnarlypods.com.  On their website they say "this is a Yellow BBG7 crossed with an unknown parent. The pods these seeds were taken from were true to the F1 pods they were collected from. Very productive, early producer of some extremely hot pods. We look forward to seeing what these F2 seeds produce."  From their pics, their pods seem a bit larger, but there are more pods on my plant.  They all have stingers.  Should be fun to see.

8aUfQGm.jpg

bpiela said:
Its about time I posted some pics.  Just started picking ripe annuums.  I have one ripening chinense pod which I have a pic of.

For starters, here is a pic of a Bonnie's Cowhorn.  Gonna have to stake this one.  A Bonnie's Cajun Bell in the background.
3PPHJpH.jpg

Next is a Paradicsum Alaku.  Got these seeds off of the seed train last year.  Growing true!
TP8MS4W.jpg

This next pic is of a Tatli Sus in the foreground and a Rosemary pepper in the background.  The Tatli Sus pods grow straight up, but for some reason, when they ripen for me, they seem to be either rotting or drying out.  Kinda like what some people are seeing with the growndown plants...
46qrl2X.jpg

A Malawi Piquante.  These plants seem to grow very tall.
ka7pJmh.jpg

This is a Bhut x Brainstrain #2 that I got seeds from Walchit.
2YHsK4Q.jpg

Here is a Yellow Stinger, seeds from Gnarly Pods.  It is starting to ripen.  Bad angle, cannot see the mini stinger. 
OYmSNSK.jpg

Another from Gnarly Pods is the Griefer.  These pods are big.
0EjZVMP.jpg

And here is a pic of an Ikaraka F2 from Rainbow Chile Seeds.  Cool looking.
2ZGcvcU.jpg

Last pic for today.  This is from a Devil's Brain seed pack I still had from Pepperlovers.  I think there might have been two phenos.  This one is smooth.  I have another Devil's Brain from the same pack of seeds that didn't make it into the garden where the pods are showing the same shape but are bumpy, which I think is the desired pheno.  But, these are starting to ripen so I will be able to try these soon.  Sorry for the blurriness.  I am not a good photographer.
GBfaL0N.jpg

Well done Ben!

You will have pods this season :dance:

Had a mini harvest today since I am going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow.  I picked a couple as they were ripening since they would probably be in bad shape if I let them go for a week.  Here is the pic:

R8vktN4.jpg

From right to left, top row then bottom row: White Hab x Urfa Biber F2 (small orange), 2 runty-ish Fatalii's, a GP Yellow Stinger, 2 Devil's Brains smooth, Brown Jalapeno, Omarsko Kambe (fully ripens to red), bottom row: 3 x SLR, Bonnie Dragon Cayenne, SLR Cross, Rosemary, 5x Super Chile, and 1 tiny Pequin.

I forgot I also have 3x more Mini Red Rocoto pods ready to pick.  I will post a pic soon.

Back from vacation and the garden looks great!  First, a whole garden shot:

aTkf8eb.jpg

Now pics of the rows starting with the closest row in the previous pic.  Row 1 with baccatums, plants from Lawrence Family Farms and some other chinense:

C7VwEA9.jpg

Row 2 are annuums.  I have noticed that some annuum plants are very short:

33Z1GVT.jpg

Row 3 are annuums as well.  More jalapenos in this row.

K8wL8yu.jpg

Row 4 are the start of the chinense.  Some chocolates, some Scotch Bonnets, some weird stuff.

roEoTJU.jpg

Row 5 are more chinense.  Some more Scotch Bonnets, my Gnarly Pods plants and my Walchit plants.

3LfuRvH.jpg

Row 6 are more chinense.  Includes my plants from Juanitos.

XRu4m2e.jpg

and the last row 7 with frutescens and a few more chinense.

EqDDrCY.jpg

Some pod pics.  First is a Paradicsum Alaku:

zMuoTUs.jpg

These are called TRex.  The pods start out growing up.

ULWUTb1.jpg

Bummer!  I didn't label these.  Not sure what they are.

afIWYJa.jpg

Here is a "Carolina Reaper" plant I got from Juanitos.  Not sure if this is a cross or mislabelled.  I will know once it ripens.

zhTJVvc.jpg

A bunch of ripening Yuquitania looking at me through the fence.

x6ER8co.jpg

So, I had save my Aji Penec seeds one year and from that pile of seeds came the Aji White Lightening Bolt.  I had always hoped to somehow grow out the seeds I had in hopes of finding another one.  The last couple of years, the plants I grew were actually Aji Penec.  This year, they seem different.  Could be AWLB.  I will have to wait and see.

a46clWb.jpg

Managed to knock off a Bhut x Brainstrain while weeding.  Bummer!

0TjgfWE.jpg

A mini harvest:

yg90kwq.jpg

Hey Ben, it's been a while. How's your season ending this year? Your grow looked mighty healthy in July, but of course, that was then...We got a hard freeze coming this weekend, I imagine it'll move east.

Hey, Ben, hope you had a good season this
year. Looks like it was off to a good start!

Back