• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Brain Strain & Bhut Beef Jerky

Here is what I used.

Eye Round Roast Beef (about 1/4" slices)
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Teriyaki Sauce
1/2 cup Lea & Perrins
1/2 table spoon Kitchen Boquet
2 Table spoons McCormick Steak Seasoning
1 Table spoon Black Pepper Corns
1 Table Spoon Sea Salt
1 Bhut Jolokia
1 Brain Strain 7 Pot

Blend all ingredients in a a food processor or blender and marinate for 24 hours.
Will be putting it in the Dehydrator tomorrow afternoon.

20120825_182711.jpg

20120825_182711.jpg

that works? ... you can pre-marinade and then dehydrate w/o using the nasty packet of stuff for curing or what not? ...

please post follow-up shots ... have a couple of dehydrators that i used like once to make jerky using ground beef and never bothered again ... but you had to use some packet-ed stuff that seemed kind of nasty ...

that works? ... you can pre-marinade and then dehydrate w/o using the nasty packet of stuff for curing or what not? ...

please post follow-up shots ... have a couple of dehydrators that i used like once to make jerky using ground beef and never bothered again ... but you had to use some packet-ed stuff that seemed kind of nasty ...

I think that packet stuff is sodium nitrate. I never use it becase I think it tastes nasty.
As long as your marinade has enough salt and you dry it our properly It will last for weeks.
I keep mine refridgerated too keep it as fresh as possible.

I only make batches big enough that will be eaten within a few weeks. (if it doesent get eaten before then lol)

Yep as Fade said packages contain a curing agent. I think it's Prague powder (Sodium Nitrite/Nitrate or pink salt).
I make just enough to last a week or two and keep it in the fridge. It usually doesn't last as much more than a week though.
Also keep in mind that this is roast and not ground beef. If I were using store bought ground beef I would definitely be adding some type of cure to it.

Methinks this will be good to try. I have a lid to use the vacuum sealer on Mason jars. May have to vac marinade it.

Yum...beef jerky! Good looking recipe! We never use that packet stuff either. Salt (table or via the soy sauce) works just as well. Of course, the jerky never lasts long enough to really tell how long it lasts. We keeps ours in a big glass jar with holes poked in the lid (an old large pickle jar).

How long and at what temp are you drying it? I get nervous with meat and always over dry it or over cook it.

It usually takes 6-8 hours at 160 degrees depending on how thick the meat is sliced.
Its all hand cut so there is slight variance in the drying time.

I start checking it after about 6 hours to start getting the more thin slices out.
To test it I take a piece out and let it cool to room temperature and then bend it.
It should be dry and pliable but not brittle.

Back