• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Brain Strain Sauce by Cappy!

Many thanks to Cappy at Pepper Ridge Farm and also to Mike Christensen!

Contact Cappy via THP. His user name is Pepper Ridge Farm. 

Wow, what a sauce?!?!?!? This is a pure Brain Strain mash, fermented for 3 months, then blended with pineapple, carrot, onion, garlic, brown sugar, lime, clementine, vinegar and water. However, by far the biggest ingredient is 7-pot Brain Strain peppers and it shows! 

The aroma is primarily fruity with the unmistakable, slightly sour, aromatic scent of fermented peppers and a touch of citrus. Delicious and very appealing!

Initially, the flavour has a savory and slight salty tang, which is then balanced beautifully with fruity sweetness and acidity. The fermented nature of the sauce then shines through, with the sourness and fermented flavours I find so delicious. You can tell the peppers used were of the 7-pot or Scorpion family, but the fermentation alters flavours enough that I couldn`t pinpoint the type of peppers via the flavours. The overall flavor was very deep and rich, beautifully layered so they the different components go across your palate like they are on a conveyer belt!

Finally, this sauce packs quite a wallop and is as hot as you`d expect for a sauce that is almost pure Brain Strain peppers. It isn`t as aggressive or painful as a raw Brain Strain, but is just as hot. 

As hot as this is, it is utterly delicious and does not wipe your taste buds clean, which means it can be used in many different ways in the kitchen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dVuHs6U1A&feature=youtu.be

Wicked Mike said:
This is why, when I come across something new, I look to see if you've come across it first. Attention to detail, objectivity, and eloquence.

And yeah, Cappy is a boss. Who better to make a Brainstrain sauce?
Couldn't of said it better Mike. Nigel is the man when it comes to serious reviews. 

Nice to see you doing some sauces this year Nigel. Good review.

Awesome review as always Nigel :)

This stuff is like the tears of a Unicorn.

Get it whilst it lasts because if you don't you will have to wait until next year and that's like a whole 350+ days away.

I dun got mine!

Thanks so very much Nigel and as you can tell by the lack of ingredient list on the label, this sauce is non-commercial and made at home and only shared among family and friends both here and locally.  It is just an example of what is possible with a truly artisan hot sauce growing only the best 7 Pod seeds to the plants and pods, harvests and then fermentation for several months, and finally cooking your recipe, every aspect is completed under one watchful eye.  Your review is spot on and I was hanging on every word waiting to hear what you think of my baby.  I don't care to eat my sauce straight off a spoon like you as it's hot, but it's flavor really shines cooking in food adding wonderful spiciness.  Big props for doing this review this is why we all share the passion of growing peppers here at THP!!!

Great review Nigel-

I can only add my personal thumbs up as well for Cappy's 'Brain Strain' sauce, it pushed my long standing favorite sauce far to the side. A total joy to consume, yet paradoxically a sadness ensues seeing the level of sauce left drop on the bottle- a sauce I don't just eat, I savor with gusto...slowly. Cappy himself couldn't be more nice and gracious to deal with as well!!!

Your written review Nigel is almost point-by-point what I reviewed to Cappy when I first tried it..lol.. Here is what I wrote (if I may..not to hi-jack your review, just to add that I agree fully...spot on review!)--

"Your sauce is without a doubt a true measure of a top quality homemade sauce. This sets the standard for me of what an artisan/homemade sauce can be. Put about 1/4tsp. on a piece of warm egg..something neutral to not mask any flavor and warm to make the flavor 'bloom'. I could not believe how much flavor just exploded out of such a small amount! I'm thinking this being due to its thickness (a mash) rather than more loose/vinegared sauces/diluted. And the heat!!! Found myself saying- 'Now THIS is a hot sauce'...not rip-roaring like a chewed-up fresh pod, but the perfect full mouth burn..really enjoyed how it 'danced' from tip of the tongue, to sides, then throat, then a general whole mouth heat- not uncomfortable, just the opposite as I had to fight the temptation to just go at it! You definitely have a winner here, a little definitely does goes a long way! Again, truly awesome sauce. That label is killer to boot."

So throw my two cents into the Brain Strain bucket- love this sauce!

Cheers!

This stuff is killer. I tried a bit on a toothpick. Lit me up good. Used about a teaspoon on my meatloaf. Can't wait to try this on my eggs tomorrow.

Cappys sauce is well thought out and expertly executed. I have tried over a dozen new sauces this summer/fall. This one is by far the best.

Order 2 bottles and received them very fast (3 days)!   Thanks Cappy!  I'm not a good reviewer, but I can say this stuff tastes awesome and brings the heat.  I love that it's really thick too.   I'm glad I ordered 2 bottles so it'll last longer.  I also enjoy the fact that it's a 10 oz bottle not the standard 5 oz bottle.

Back