• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brain Strain vs TS morouga

Someone should grow the brain strain, the Scorpion Moruga blend, Scorpion-SR, 7 pot-SR, and infinity, and compare them. I think Cmpman had grown them all but the infinities, and most were quite similar from what I remember.
The red and yellow morugas are not super-hot or fancy looking but they both have good flavors

I am growing the Red Brain, TS Morouga, and the Infinity and am pretty excited to see how all of them turn out. I never thought that this would all be going on and just got seeds for things that sounded cool. Now I guess things have turned out as more of an experiment than anything....

I think that once the harvests start we should create a thread and everyone should post their photos and notes to do kind of a group comparison. Photos aren't much of a sure bet comparison, but taste, heat level, and growth patterns could give a bit of insight into differences and similarities.

Im growing The red brain the yellow brain the red TSMB yellow TSMB and the infinity i dont have the 7 pod sr or TSSR I'll be glad to share my experiance with them and post pics too

i got the Red brain from Miccah who got it from Cappy
I got the yellow brain from a source i forget but i can check later
I got Red Moruga from cmpman
I got the yellow Moruga from Junglerain
And I got Infinity from Aji Joe and some from James Weaver

I'll post pics this fall to show the diference and maybe a vid to discribe heat and flavor :)

I got a couple of TS morouga seeds from MGold (thanks a ton!) and germinated one of them. Luckily I ended up with a healthy plant :) . Unfortunately a brain strain seed I tried to germinate got eaten by some sort of larvae from the recycled soil I used. I decided to germinate two more morouga seeds that I got from Patrick (thanks!) in order to make a comparison.

Here is a picture of my baby TS morouga for reference (myself and others!). I'm very interested in seeing if there are differences in their behavior.
7089332019_580cc982a7.jpg

Dulac, I'm growing them side by side as are a few others on this forum. I'm going to keep which is which a secret until the end of my season to help avoid bias. Saying that they're both impossible to tell apart doesn't mean that they're the same variety, but we can say it might be worthless to grow both.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27676-mrz-2012-season/page__st__20#entry601785

Dulac, I'm growing them side by side as are a few others on this forum. I'm going to keep which is which a secret until the end of my season to help avoid bias. Saying that they're both impossible to tell apart doesn't mean that they're the same variety, but we can say it might be worthless to grow both.

http://thehotpepper...._20#entry601785

Cool, we can compare notes :) . I agree that just because the plant behavior is the same doesn't mean they are the same variety. However, I saw pics in another thread that gave reason to think they might have slightly different behavior.

Got a few of each growing myself. Pretty much a waiting game now. The previous years that I've grown both there was a difference in pod appearance. Not a lot but enough to be able to distinguish them from each other. Lemme see if I can find some old pics.

Found one. This is a Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend pepper.

IMG_6580cre.jpg

Can't seem to find any 7 Pot BS pics at the moment. I'll keep looking.

Someone should grow the brain strain, the Scorpion Moruga blend, Scorpion-SR, 7 pot-SR, and infinity, and compare them. I think Cmpman had grown them all but the infinities, and most were quite similar from what I remember.
The red and yellow morugas are not super-hot or fancy looking but they both have good flavors

growing them all Derek...

Thanks for the input guys! Full plant pics would be wonderful. I think they all have their differences but the more research we can do the easier we can put this to bed :dance:

I grew both from seeds friends(2 different people) sent me on this site.

Some pods were similar, but in the end, they had distict differences in the way they look.

Yellow Moruga Scorpion...

Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain...

similar size, but brains have higher yield. Haven't tasted either yet! Just saving the seeds and overwintering them.  :P

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
I grew both from seeds friends(2 different people) sent me on this site.

Some pods were similar, but in the end, they had distict differences in the way they look.

Yellow Moruga Scorpion...

Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain...

similar size, but brains have higher yield. Haven't tasted either yet! Just saving the seeds and overwintering them.  :P

Don't want to further confuse things, but I grew some "morgua scorpions" I bought from Amazon, and some of my pods look identical to your yellow 7 pot brain strain, except they ripened to red.

MaineScorpion said:
Don't want to further confuse things, but I grew some "morgua scorpions" I bought from Amazon, and some of my pods look identical to your yellow 7 pot brain strain, except they ripened to red.
red brain, maybe butch t, maybe!

The Red and Yellow Brainstrain pods I grew this year, with one or two exceptions out of dozens of pods, did not have the Scorpion tail.

Also, my Butch T (three years old now) has smoother pods, generally with a more pointy Scorpion tail.

Back