• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brainstrain

What is the scoville of 7 pot brainstrain?

I thought it was approx 1 million however after cutting into one of my dwarf pods and then rinsing it under the sink i found throat being irritated - admittedly i had my head quite close to the split pod.

I then sliced the baby pod up and licked the knife to taste the flavour.. that lit my mouth up like id just bitten into a Habanero!! Complete with nose running, and burning under my finger nails of the fingers i held the pod with.(whilst cutting).

Only a Moruga has ever done this... not even a yellow 7 is that hot.

Red Brains are no joke.
Yellow brains aren't either, really.

I think it depends on the particular genetics of the plant that you have, because I have heard people say that they aren't very hot . . . that is not my experience.  I had uncontrollable tears and my back started hurting . . . from an 8th of a pod.

muskymojo said:
Don't know the SHU, but they are quite hot.

Why did you rinse the pod after cutting it?

It had a bug hole that's why i initially split it... i rinsed it though because it was covered in copper from the fungus spray.
chsy83 said:
Red Brains are no joke.

Yellow brains aren't either, really.

I think it depends on the particular genetics of the plant that you have, because I have heard people say that they aren't very hot . . . that is not my experience.  I had uncontrollable tears and my back started hurting . . . from an 8th of a pod.

the yellow brain's when i ate them last year where hot, very hot, but they where only around the naga level i'd say.

I've grown these brainstrain's from one single pod, and it was the only brainstrain pod I've ever tried, but i don't remember how hot that was lol.

that little dwarf pod is the pod.

i grew a brain strain hydroponically a couple years ago(pulled in 15lbs off the plant),  the pods it put out where retarded HOT!  the oil would puddle if i left the pod open face down.  i am not sure the brain strain has been officially tested.  but my guess would be they would come in more than 1mil SHU.  

scotchnaga85 said:

not even a yellow 7 is that hot.

7 pot=/= brainstrain. I don't know what evil pixie dust Cappy put into the brainstrains but they are way hotter than any regular 7 pots I have had. My experience is mostly with yellows of each type.

Jeff H said:

7 pot=/= brainstrain. I don't know what evil pixie dust Cappy put into the brainstrains but they are way hotter than any regular 7 pots I have had. My experience is mostly with yellows of each type.

I know the yellow 7 is a Brainstrain lol.. but i think the Red 7 pot is in a league of its own with the Moruga's :onfire:  :fireball:  :hell:  . I scratched an itch on my neck about 25 minutes ago and the skin is still burning, it feels like I've got deep heat on my neck. 
spongey600 said:
i grew a brain strain hydroponically a couple years ago(pulled in 15lbs off the plant),  the pods it put out where retarded HOT!  the oil would puddle if i left the pod open face down.  i am not sure the brain strain has been officially tested.  but my guess would be they would come in more than 1mil SHU.  

That plant is a beast :) Nice one.

One of my Red 7 Brain's is standing at 95cm though higher with the pot.

There was already a lot of debatement about Brainstrain in the past... anyway the real deal is one of the hottest thing i've ever tried!

Cya

Datil

I always thought the Brainstrain was a variation of the Moruga Scorpion, due their extremely similar appearance.

I learned something today...

alkhall said:
I always thought the Brainstrain was a variation of the Moruga Scorpion, due their extremely similar appearance.

I learned something today...
Better tasting ;)
Datil said:
There was already a lot of debatement about Brainstrain in the past... anyway the real deal is one of the hottest thing i've ever tried!

Cya

Datil
I wouldn't know, I've never read any past debates/ discussions. Pretty sure these are the real deal though :D

spongey600 said:

That does not look the shape of my yellow BS:

YellowBS8-2-14.jpg

I am sure Cappy will chime in here  but let me clarify about the brain strain...

Cappy got his seeds from an old member down in Trinidad....they were, in fact, true red 7 pot seeds...the first (or second) year he grew them, this "brainy" texture pod developed on some of his plants, so he grew them out and has been growing them ever since...the red brain strain 7 was the first...this has been a long time ago and before morouga's or anything else...back them we only got 7 Pot and Trinidad Scorpion seeds from Trinidad....it has been in the last few years all the different strains of the 7's and Scorpions have developed due to man's selection for pod shape, taste, and heat...

AlabamaJack said:
I am sure Cappy will chime in here  but let me clarify about the brain strain...

Cappy got his seeds from an old member down in Trinidad....they were, in fact, true red 7 pot seeds...the first (or second) year he grew them, this "brainy" texture pod developed on some of his plants, so he grew them out and has been growing them ever since...the red brain strain 7 was the first...this has been a long time ago and before morouga's or anything else...back them we only got 7 Pot and Trinidad Scorpion seeds from Trinidad....it has been in the last few years all the different strains of the 7's and Scorpions have developed due to man's selection for pod shape, taste, and heat...

thank you, i could not recall off the top of my head the story!  i knew the brainstrain was a result of selective breeding.  and my plants were grown from seeds from cappy.

I did receive seed from SR in 2008 after she had already noticed I was growing what was to become the Brain Strain 7 Pod.  The seed I got was from THP member bowhunter who received them from Sara in 2007.  He gave me a packet or original 7 Pod and I grew those out in 2008 and like AJ said one plant in particular had super brainy texture that went on to become known as Brain Strain 7.  The first time I tasted the pepper I almost passed out and knew we had something special.  I tried the open source and chilehead code of sharing seeds freely with anybody who wanted to grow it.  Never had the Brain Strain SHU heat tested because one I couldn't afford it years ago.  I was just lucky to be part of THP early on get these seeds then grow them out and share pictures on a forum like this.  Today there are several contenders to the crown of worlds hottest pepper with the Brain Strain 7 Pod being high on the list for many years now.  The pepper growers of the world are the true test of SHU. -Cappy

Some really evil looking pods in here  :evil:  :hell:  :onfire:  :hot:  :mouthonfire:  :lol:

and some interesting information to regarding the brainstrains, thank you :)

Back