• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Brandywine Tomato Leaf's

I have two brandywine tomatoes growing under a CFL side by side. One leaf is turning yellow and looks like its dying. The leaf that is dying is on both plants and it is the leaf that is closest to the light source. The plants grew the same way and look identical and both have this leaf turning yellow. It was one of the first true leafs on the plant. The leaves in question are stiff and the leaf veins are black.

Is it dying and should I snip it off?

Plant One

0405012039a-1.jpg

0405012039-1.jpg

Plant Two

0405012041.jpg

0405012040.jpg

Well I can't help with your problem much. I suppose it could be the light, but it sort of looks like what happens towards the end of the season for tomatoes when they wither and die. What time period is the light on for? Maybe it's mimicking the end of the season with longer days etc.. I also have no idea if tomatoes are photoperiod sensitive. :crazy:

I've grown Brandywines before though, you can get some monster toms from them!

Could easily be a disease or deficiency. Some start with the older leaves and work up the plant.

yellowing is one of those topics i hate, it could be 1,000 options.

let's start with the basics, most likely your plant is not absorbing enough nitrogen... this means your soil has to be fixed. either feed it with something like 10-0-0 or perhaps you calcium level is too low. take a rolaid tablet in a small glass of water and mix it around. in an hour pour it onto your plants. plus give them an epsom salt misting

yellowing is one of those topics i hate, it could be 1,000 options.

let's start with the basics, most likely your plant is not absorbing enough nitrogen... this means your soil has to be fixed. either feed it with something like 10-0-0 or perhaps you calcium level is too low. take a rolaid tablet in a small glass of water and mix it around. in an hour pour it onto your plants. plus give them an epsom salt misting

what is a rolaid?

Just noticed in the original pics the size of the pot. The plants might have sucked up all the nutrients available.

I agree with Burning Colon. hmmmm never thought I'd ever say that phrase :rofl:

Here is the size of the plants. I didnt think they needed to be repotted just yet but the soil did look pretty leached. I topped it off with some potting soil on the top and add some home made orange-peel/egg shell leachate last night.

0406010759.jpg

0406010759a.jpg

I will consider repotting but as you can see only one leaf has the symptom. But upon closer inspection some of the older leafs are looking spotted but it may just be my imagination.

IMO, no need to re-pot. It looks like your plant has used up the nutes in the soil and is now using the nutes from the bottom leaves. Like when a seedling uses its first 2 leaves for nutes, then the leaves turn yellow and fall off. Even if your soil has nutrients in it they will only last a month or so before you need to add fertilizer.

Never heard of the rolaid thing, BUT I would think that its a perfectally acceptable source of calcium...and epsom salt is always a good idea.

So ya...I guess BC said it all!!

Back