• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Brazilian Malagueta???

So I have two baggies marked Malagueta.  Which is the real Malagueta?   One is marked CGN 21536. 

Are (Brazilian) Malagueta also know as Piri Piri??  If I am to believe wikipedia there is a large and a small Piri Piri (Malagueta).  Is that what is going on here?

SmokeMaster? Or anyone else?

PICTURE:  1                                                                                                                PICTURE:  2

SWduTHkl.jpg
k3uMvLUl.jpg

Yes, I think they are.
Will be back later (in a hurry now).

Later edit: I just found yesterday a guy from Paraguay, he told me about 2 kind of Malagueta, Malagueta - smaller - and Malagueta Mejorada ("enhanced") - bigger- both from North of Brazil. He told the smaller one is "terrible", he told me 4 people, used with work on fields, started to harvest the peppers but they worked only half day because hands and face started to burn. Next day they weared gloves, but the heat made them problems again.

I  believe,since my original source was from Portugal,The different names and Countries they came from are from the old trade routes...Portugal's trade routes.
Probably the same pepper that became a Landrace over the years.
In several different countries.

Add to that,Vendors calling stuff whatever,re naming it to fit their source or?(as I said Brazil,Africa etc.).

Like a LOT of the same peppers being called Brazilian,Bolivian,African or whatever.

Unless it was evolved and became a Land Race (adapted to different growing conditions and or crossed with another local pepper or?) it's probably the same thing.
I'd guess the difference between the large and small versions is due to one becoming a Land Race variety.
But I'm just guessing.
Maybe search Pimenta/piment Malagueta rather than Brazillian Malagueta...

This info is what I'm getting at- +/-

http://flavorsofbrazil.blogspot.com/2011/05/peppers-of-brazil-malagueta-pepper.html

chiltepin said:
So I have two baggies marked Malagueta.  Which is the real Malagueta?   One is marked CGN 21536. 

Are (Brazilian) Malagueta also know as Piri Piri??  If I am to believe wikipedia there is a large and a small Piri Piri (Malagueta).  Is that what is going on here?

SmokeMaster? Or anyone else?

PICTURE:  1                                                                                                                PICTURE:  2

SWduTHkl.jpg
k3uMvLUl.jpg

According to wikipedia they're all the same. The different sizes are still the same peppers from different maturities.

Not sure.

I only know what I've grown,there are different versions-as I posted in the link.
There IS a difference in Land Race stuff.
Name means little in general,only a starting point.
I don't disagree with them ALL originating from the same pepper as far as name goes.
I DO think that there are LAND RACE varieties though.
Name,as the link I posted,means little.
They ARE NOT ALL the same.
I get a LOT of variations in size,taste etc. from the stuff I get from the place of origin.
But I only have a small collection of seeds for this variety from several different places.
Most are Land Race for the same thing.
My stash is mostly pure seeds,I think.
That is why I posted as I did.
I have a semi large personal stash of seeds.

irn8cctC2uZ said:

According to wikipedia they're all the same. The different sizes are still the same peppers from different maturities.

Not sure.
The guy I speak about posted a picture with both kind of Malagueta in a jar, with vinegar. Both of them red color. He told the heat is also different. So, no different maturities, but different peppers. Or at least, as smokemaster wrote, different versions.

chiltepin said:
Your own and local?
Local peppers here are annuums only.
I had the opportunity to travel to Mexic for 2 weeks (an unexpected occasion from my work), few years ago. Met the orange habanero there, at a Walmart. Love at first sight. Heat level at unexpected level. First experience whet I ate a hot pepper and later touched myself on... sensitive places and felt the burn! Unfortunately I was a noob on that time, and still regret it, because I visited a market in San Luis Potosi where they had all kind of other peppers, fresh or dried, and missed the chance to have a rich collection of seeds.

So, that was the point when I started to discover the vast world of hot peppers. To discover that there are incredible hot levels, and amazing tasting peppers. And this expanded exponentially, causing me pains and messing my brain at every season start, because the syndrom of "so many peppers, so little place". I think (and I hope) that next season will try hard to limit myself to top 50 different peppers, and try to have more plants of each (so far I had many of them with a single plant, which is not good, that single plant can die, or produce 2-3 pods, not enough for anything). 

Speaking about the peppers I grow, I can say that I can grow anything here (I mean outside, cause I am a garden grower, not indoor). Some of them need to start earlier, like pubes. My first pubes season (2014) resulted in only nice plants (almost 2 m), but only green peppers. In 2015 I had 2-3 nice Rocoto de Seda peppers, because earlier start.

Though the Malagueta that I have that is larger,I don't think it is a Frutescence but an Annuum.
Landrace?
See the African and other versions-most I've grow look Annuum to me.
I grew several this last year under different names.
Called Frutescens,but I think are Annuums.
Resemble Zimbabwe bird peppers.
All seem to be possibly spread through the old Portugese trade routes...
Only the small one looks Frutescense to me...

Back