• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Brians 2014 Glog - Abu Dhabi

Evening folks!   Just got back from the UK and picked up some seeds while I was there.  I'm growing in Abu Dhabi where I have some extreme temperatures to deal with outside, however hoping that atleast one of these manages to bear fruit!

I had a Bolivian Rainbow that I got as a seedling, and it eventually gave fruit, however it sat on a window sill it got watered every now and again, it didn't get much attention.

These may be typos, however they are all spelt as they were on the packet I received the seeds in;

Centennial - 10 seeds
Seven Pod/Seven Pot (Capsicum Chinense) - 10 seeds
NuMex Baily Piquin (Capsicum Annuum) - 10 seeds
Brain Strain - 10 seeds
Summer Fire - 10 seeds
Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper - 10 seeds

I've spaced the seeds out onto damp kitchen roll, covered, and then put in a zipper bag with a little air trapped inside.   I've dumped them in a room that should average 31oC (87oF), one where we don't have the A/C on at all.   I imagine germination will take around 7 days, apart from Brain/Strain and the Reapers (I've been told they can be 21 days).

No point in putting pictures of the kitchen roll on at this point I guess!

For the rest of this month, we expect temperatures ranging from 38-41oC (101-106oF) during the day, dropping to around 23oC (73oF) at night.  Despite it being the middle of the desert here, it is actually quite humid (40-50%).

Next Month, it will get pretty brutal in temperature, not sure if these will burn to a crisp or not, however we will see.

Any tips for a pretty inexperienced grower (first time from seeds), especially taking into account the temperatures I'll be dealing with, would be very welcome.  Otherwise, I'll just try and keep them alive best I can.

Brian

Hey Brian.
 yes it gets really hot down there.
the best thing to do is to keep the flowers from falling off due to extreme heat.the plants will go just fine, actually will thrive in such conditions.
so i would say you most likely have to get some kind of shading like 70% shade.
also never water them before the sun actually sets and the heats starts going down
peppers love heat, so you may have a great growing conditions if you manage the plants right by protecting the flowers from falling off. 

good luck 

PepperLover said:
Hey Brian.
 yes it gets really hot down there.
the best thing to do is to keep the flowers from falling off due to extreme heat.the plants will go just fine, actually will thrive in such conditions.
so i would say you most likely have to get some kind of shading like 70% shade.
also never water them before the sun actually sets and the heats starts going down
peppers love heat, so you may have a great growing conditions if you manage the plants right by protecting the flowers from falling off. 

good luck 
Thanks for the advice!  When you say 70% shading, you mean not in direct sunlight 70% of the time?  Noted about only watering them in the evenings!

First I need to get them out of the pods though :)

the 70% shading is a cloth/mesh that keeps about 70% of the sun out. so the plants are not in direct sun. this should protect the flowers 

Think I'll struggle to get someone to supply that here.   Not exactly a lot of resources for growing materials.  I guess I can try emailing one of the local nurseries and see what comes up!  If not, I guess I'll just stick them round the corner where the sun doesn't go directly (however it's pretty bright and heat isn't an issue!)

Bed sheets?

:welcome: to THP

My little sister is in the process of putting her paperwork in to head over there. If you see a chubby nurse dripping sweat, walking 10 feet behind her boyfriend (*ahem* I mean husband..) it's probably her hehehe

Looks like you've got a sweet line up for a good year, I look forward to seeing it develope :)

miguelovic said:
Bed sheets?

:welcome: to THP

My little sister is in the process of putting her paperwork in to head over there. If you see a chubby nurse dripping sweat, walking 10 feet behind her boyfriend (*ahem* I mean husband..) it's probably her hehehe

Looks like you've got a sweet line up for a good year, I look forward to seeing it develope :)
Cheers!  It's my first attempt at growing anything from seed, so a little bit of guesswork and luck should steer me through along with THPs help!   For a start, I think I've picked a silly time to start, should have done this at the start of the year, possibly the end of last, however we'll see what happens.

I have around a week until germination should be happening, saw some great ideas on other glogs on record keeping, so I guess I can create something like that to track germination %s and times.

I can work on constructing something to filter out some of the direct sunlight aswell.

Next is getting the pots ready.  Had planned to put them into plastic cups to begin with, and then select the best "X" amount of plants after they have grown up a little. how much does the size of the pot actually restrict the final size of the plant?  I have pots that are around 10cms in diameter, 10cms deep which I guess would be fine for starting them up in after they come out of the plastic cups, however I would need to look at something a good bit larger for the future?

I've got tomato food and potting soil already, anything else I really need to think about this early - you can tell I'm not the most organised or experienced grower!

Brian

There are a lot of glogs to sift through, but loaded with experience and great ideas.

First year on peppers myself and there is much to learn. From what I have gathered, 5 gallon is the usual minimum for a final pot, but it depends on variety. With high temps, I would be heading towards larger, light coloured pots and a bit of mulch.

My two bits, for what their worth :P

miguelovic said:
There are a lot of glogs to sift through, but loaded with experience and great ideas.

First year on peppers myself and there is much to learn. From what I have gathered, 5 gallon is the usual minimum for a final pot, but it depends on variety. With high temps, I would be heading towards larger, light coloured pots and a bit of mulch.

My two bits, for what their worth :P
Thanks, will look at getting some bigger pots and more compost I think.

So far, I have 1 seed from 60 starting to show a little white thing poking out the side.  I guess I'm just impatient as I only started the germination process 4 days ago. 

If you can find some 5 gallon paint buckets they will grow just fine in them just drill a few holes near the bottom of them they will last several years if you take care of them or if you can find a couple of plastic 50 gallon drums you can cut them in half and add drainage holes in the bottom you can plant three plants or just one in each half and make sure that they didn't have any solvent or toxic chemicals in them oh yes make sure the drainage holes are the right size 1/4 inch for the buckets and up to a 1/2 inch for the barrels I would add some small rocks in the bottom to help with drainage also the soil should not have a lot of peat moss in it.
I do a mix of composted manure, sand and good top soil with some peat moss and or composted straw and wood chips that are fully broken down. If you can't find any shade cloth you can use old white bed sheets and lightly drape them over the plants,  a couple of 1/2 inch wood or metal rods will keep the blankets from pressing down too hard on the plants when the night temps get too hot and your blooms fall off.

Centennial - 10 seeds // 1 with something growing out 9 not showing any signs of germination
Seven Pod/Seven Pot (Capsicum Chinense) - 10 seeds // 7 with things growing out 3 not showing any signs of germination
NuMex Baily Piquin (Capsicum Annuum) - 10 seeds // 5 with things growing out 5 not showing any signs of germination
Brain Strain - 10 seeds // 5 with things growing out 5 not showing any signs of germination
Summer Fire - 10 seeds // 4 with things growing out 6 not showing any signs of germination
Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper - 10 seeds // no sign of germination

OK, I realise I'm being very impatient and I'll continue leaving the seeds to see if germination does happen on the rest.

How long after the seeds "pop" do you normally leave it before planting them in small pots?  The growths are between 3mm and 20mm depending on the variety.

Also, on two individual seeds there are 50 or so tiny black dots surrounding it.  I'm pretty sure that when started the germination process they were all clean, is this a pest and time for me to dump those seeds?

oh and on the off-chance I actually get these things to sprout, do I need to bother with hardening with the temps we get here?

Next week is going to have an average daytime of 96oF and lows of 75oF?  It's just going to get warmer here until August;

Average temperatures for the next couple of months;

June - 103oF Daytime - 81oF Nighttime
July - 105oF Daytime - 86oF Nighttime
August - 106oF Daytime - 86oF Nighttime

I might be better off stopping the glog and just asking questions on the main forum for this season, realising that I am rather underqualifiied for a glog!

Brian

Dude don't stop the log. Keep us posted on your progress !

It's only been 3 days. Peppers usually take a while, a week or so, to sprout. Especially the ones you're trying to grow.

Lets see some pictures of what you got going on right now.

Back