• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Brood II is coming... Could cicadas break my peppers?

So I have been living in the US for 5 years now and now I am hearing that large amounts of cicadas swarming in small shrubs and trees could break branches and destroy these plants from the excess weight. Could this happen to our pepper plants outdoors? And do they really suck on trees and shrubs!!! Anyway I hope Nebraska won't have the problem but I just never heard of these creatures before.

you will be ok they prefer trees and they do not really eat if im correct they just emerge, swarm, buzz, breed, die, there larva are grub worms they do eat and might do damage but i dont think you have to wory about em they live in soil that dosent get disturbed like in a garden,undisturbed mostly wooded areas,, correct me if im wrong havent looked it up going on what i remember,

Yes,they suck sap out of trees and plants. I doubt they will break your plants with sheer weight though. I remember the last brood.At the time,I was working about 6 miles away in another county and that is where they emerged. I could hear this insane whirring from my front porch at that distance! The majority of them stayed in the forests,high up in trees.

So I have been living in the US for 5 years now and now I am hearing that large amounts of cicadas swarming in small shrubs and trees could break branches and destroy these plants from the excess weight. Could this happen to our pepper plants outdoors? And do they really suck on trees and shrubs!!! Anyway I hope Nebraska won't have the problem but I just never heard of these creatures before.
Dan,
According to the following data base, you are far far out of the zones for the 17 yr. Cicada.
http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/databases/magicicada/magi_search.php

But in return for all of the lousy weather that you in the Midwest have sent us this spring, I will gladly send you a few thousand of our Cicadas when they hatch :rofl: ...
http://www.wcnc.com/charlotte-today/Cicadas-are-back-204507151.html

they make great fertilizer.

they do live in garden beds; i was giving my neighbor a wheelbarrow full of my garden dirt, found large tunnels and even the nymphs lurking around.
last time we had them, they covered EVERYTHING. couldn't take a step without crunching on em.

Island Dan - I've never seen a cicada around here. Grasshoppers - that's another story. Some years we're inundated. Last year, none. ?? Must have something to do with the weather.

Dan,
According to the following data base, you are far far out of the zones for the 17 yr. Cicada.
http://hydrodictyon....magi_search.php

But in return for all of the lousy weather that you in the Midwest have sent us this spring, I will gladly send you a few thousand of our Cicadas when they hatch :rofl: ...
http://www.wcnc.com/charlotte-today/Cicadas-are-back-204507151.html
Oh no don't blame us.! :shame: The cold weather was just passing through, it came from Alberta, AKA Alberta Clipper.

Yeah don't blame the midwest for the crappy weather. We had a frost warning last night. I had to lug ALLLL of my peppers back inside! And great news about those creepy red eyed beasts staying away from Nebraska. A buddy here was telling me they will be out this year so wasn't sure. We have lots of creepy crawlies in the Caribbean but we don't have sudden infestations of them all at once.

Cicadas are nicely edible. My grad advisor at the U. of Chicago made us sample them during an emergence year. Definitely better with tabasco sauce--but now I'm thinking we can find an even better sauce accompaniment on this forum. Time for a Cicada throwdown?

You should really only worry about your ears. the incessant buzzing gets really annoying after a while, but they really don't do much harm except to the trees.

I remember when I was younger the one year 3 swarms came in the one year, or I was told. It may just have been a very large brood. I remember the news saying there were 13 and 17 year broods, but the below link speaks differently, if you believe it.
http://www.magicicada.org/about/brood_pages/broods.php

They are mostly confined to the east coast this year. I mean 'this year' because, even though they come in 17 year cycles, not all broods are on the same schedule (differant parts of the country have differant brood years). Differant types of cicadas also have differant brood lenghts like 7 to 10 to 13 and 17 years.

Here is another question. Which other countries have to deal with these pests? I have been seeing lots of news articles pushing people to cook and eat them. Apparently they are the shrimp of the land haha.

Cicadas are pretty much worldwide. Most, however, are non-periodical--a few come out every year. I think the periodicity (16 or 12 years without, then a synchronous mass emergence on the 17th or 13th year) is a purely North American phenomenon.

I don't know about shrimp. I remember them more like a crunchy shell with bland avocado dip on the inside. not bad, but better with Tabasco. I do remember seeing recently a report about an ice cream shop that made a batch of cicada ice cream. It either sold out immediately or the health department threatened to shut them down so they took it off display and just said it sold out.
Island_Dan said:
Here is another question. Which other countries have to deal with these pests? I have been seeing lots of news articles pushing people to cook and eat them. Apparently they are the shrimp of the land haha.

not the same species i know.. but god i hate the cicadas here in Japan! constant noise.

I got knocked off my bike last year when one of them flying along hit me in the face head on. ouch!

Back