• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brown Moruga Thread

The Brown morugas were moved from the solo cups to a 1 gal container about 2 weeks ago.

20150528_205404.jpg

They are soon to be moved to the 20 gal Brutes (with holes for drainage). See, I learned a lesson!

I expect shortly after the next move their leaf mass will explode with growth.
OH, BTW. #487 is the dark brown phenol for future reference.

I was all excited and was about to post some pics of my 1 year old chocolate moruga, thinking they were the same thing. Apparently they are not...  :tear:

They are probably quite similar but when Judy from Pepper lovers developed hers, she named the brown morugas specifically to differentiate the origination of the variety. At least that's my take on it. I am sure she will correct me if I am wrong.

So post away pebbles.

I'll be following this thread closely. I purchased Brown Moruga seeds last year, but had 0% germination. I don't believe it was on my end, because I shared the seeds with a friend and he also had 0%. I expect I'll be purchasing seeds from Judy in the near future. Beautiful plants by the way CAPCOM.

Tim

CAPCOM said:
They are probably quite similar but when Judy from Pepper lovers developed hers, she named the brown morugas specifically to differentiate the origination of the variety. At least that's my take on it. I am sure she will correct me if I am wrong.

So post away pebbles.

Cheers CAPCOM! She is 1 year old as I mentioned and in a DWC system.

Zue5lDn.jpg

grlQYNr.jpg

mQ7fzGk.jpg

UVLceYI.jpg

It's rather difficult getting a good shot of her since its quite narrow and she is quite wide.

Got plenty of pods, some of which are slightly more gnarly looking. Still think they would look more evil if they were grown in soil.

peppernovice said:
   I'll be following this thread closely. I purchased Brown Moruga seeds last year, but had 0% germination. I don't believe it was on my end, because I shared the seeds with a friend and he also had 0%. I expect I'll be purchasing seeds from Judy in the near future. Beautiful plants by the way CAPCOM.

Tim
Thanks Tim.
I ordered  a med flat rate box of peppers from Judy and she was gracious enough to share some brown moruga pods with me after the sample of the brown moruga flake that she had previously sent me (of which I also got my butt toasted with). I was sold on the flavor from the start. Two years later and I dont have a more favored super hot.

Anders, that is a really nice plant and yes a very bushy one as well. was the diliberate or did it naturally grow out that way? I couldn't say one way or the other regarding soil vs DWC.

CAPCOM said:
Anders, that is a really nice plant and yes a very bushy one as well. was the liberate or did it naturally grow out that way? 

It was deliberate. I cut it back several times, not sure why it worked so well with this particular plant though.

The more you cut back on primary growth, the more branching you will induce. The trick is not doing it too soon as the plant needs a strong main branch to support the weight of a huge canopy. The general plant charactistics also plays a major role in what I just stated. Obviously plants like chiltepins can be disregarded in that respect.

CAPCOM said:
The more you cut back on primary growth, the more branching you will induce. The trick is not doing it too soon as the plant needs a strong main branch to support the weight of a huge canopy. The general plant charactistics also plays a major role in what I just stated. Obviously plants like chiltepins can be disregarded in that respect.

That makes a lot of sense, wish I knew this before. For this particular plant I didn't really cut it back until it was about 6 months old, it was already growing really beautifully at the time. But this was an experimental plant to being with so I wanted to try to prune it properly and it came back with a vengeance.

It has spent most of its life in a 8 l (2gallon) tote and I grew it until it was severely root bound there. Just transfered it to this 60 liter (16 gallon) pot about 3 weeks ago. Already it has grown over 30 cm in all directions and produced a bunch of pods. 

Bumping post with more pod pics... just to be clear they are of the Chocolate variety :whistle:

One of many possible group shots:

Foliage is crazy thick so really difficult to see most of them at the moment since they are still tiny, these are some of the larger ones. Still early in the season.. :cool:

pebbles said:
Bumping post with more pod pics... just to be clear they are of the Chocolate variety :whistle:

One of many possible group shots:

Foliage is crazy thick so really difficult to see most of them at the moment since they are still tiny, these are some of the larger ones. Still early in the season.. :cool:
The latter pics look much better, they are assuming the characteristic moruga shapes. Some of the early pics were tending to more of an habanero shape. But sometimes the first pods will do that and is why I held my comments till more evidence was in. Looking really good though.

I will use this slot to photo document the 2 brown morugas growth progression.

20150528_205404.jpg

20150607_161236.jpg

20150613_113503.jpg

the dark phenol is now on the right also tagged 487 if you zoom in.

Attachments

• 20150622_224018.jpg
    20150622_224018.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 92
update 6 27 15
They are switched again with 487 now on the left.
Branching off, budding heavily and leaves starting to take on mass. they are staged to go into hyper mode very soon.
rain all next week and my Brutes have not been watered (except for feedings) by me since plant out.

20150627_115222.jpg

CAPCOM said:
update 6 27 15
They are switched again with 487 now on the left.
Branching off, budding heavily and leaves starting to take on mass. they are staged to go into hyper mode very soon.
rain all next week and my Brutes have not been watered (except for feedings) by me since plant out.

attachicon.gif
20150627_115222.jpg

Looking very healthy CAPCOM! Eager to see how they turn out by the end of the season.

A couple of my pods have finally started to change colours!

Back