• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brown Moruga Thread

They are really taking off now!

20150711_125042.jpg

20150711_134125.jpg

20150711_134140.jpg

Update 7-19-15

20150718_202619.jpg

20150718_202517.jpg

All you need to do is go back to post #34 to see the progress these two babies have made.
Ah! I'll make it easy for ya. these pics were taken June 6th

20150607_161236.jpg

Heeeeere, We go!        Update 7-26-15
Setting fruit left and right. I have thought about spraying with bloom kaos, but wonder why I would with 3-4 buds popping up on each node. is there any benefit to applying a spray at this point. I am hard pressed to provide a rational reason to do so.

20150726_124456.jpg

20150726_124300.jpg

Well, I pulled the 1st super hot pod of the year.

20150822_125613.jpg

I was much riper when harvested but, it was not DARK. While I am somewhat disappointed, I am not throwing in the towel. I only grew one dark phenol seed out of the two pods I harvested last year. It was a gamble planting only one but I had a lot of plants this year and I didn't want to complicate things more than they already were. This up coming season is all different from the past two. I will grow no more than 100 plants this next year. Of them will be a high percentage of the seeds taken from the dark phenol pods. I am pursuing this as I did the Xalapas 2 years ago. I truly regret I was not into cloning last fall as I could have retained several cuttings from the mother plant for this past season. Oh well, one of the remaining seeds has to have what it takes to produce that dark pod from last year. Better yet, screw the high percentage, I am going all in. That is going to limit the balance of my grow, but I will just have to be very selective.

My first Brown Moruga pods. Took forever to germinate. Finally got 2 plants. 1 was scared of the sun and died after a few months. This plant however is the first pepper I am attempting to clone.

dMqYxtc.jpg
Vtwi4rr.jpg

I got two ripe pods in Norway, there is more pods on the way, but it takes time and this summer the sun is on holiday.

2015-08-18%2020.19.58.jpg

someguy said:
I planted two plants this year. One has only one pod and a bunch of flowers and the other one has six pods and no flowers. The plants are about five feet tall. I took the seeds out of some fresh pods that I got from Judy last year. Anyways here are some pics taken today August 29th.

IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG
Those may very well be plants grown from pods acquired from Judy, but those do not(at least from the picture) look like brown morugas.

I suspect an unintentional cross.

someguy said:
So what would you think they might be?
I could be wrong on my statement but there is a lot of dimpling on those pods. All of my brown moruga stock is from Judy and produces fairly smooth skinned pods. Yours look rather brain-ish or primo-ish
What are you doing to get first year morugas to 5'?

I would add, the plants from what I can see look like morugas. just very peculiar pods or interesting if you will.

Have you eaten one yet? nothing I have come across tastes like a Brown moruga. That  is what I like most about them, the taste. And the heat. And the taste

CAPCOM said:
I could be wrong on my statement but there is a lot of dimpling on those pods. All of my brown moruga stock is from Judy and produces fairly smooth skinned pods. Yours look rather brain-ish or primo-ish
What are you doing to get first year morugas to 5'?

I would add, the plants from what I can see look like morugas. just very peculiar pods or interesting if you will.

Have you eaten one yet? nothing I have come across tastes like a Brown moruga. That  is what I like most about them, the taste. And the heat. And the taste

I  got these seeds from Brown Moruga pods last year. The only other thing brown that I planted were Chocolate Habaneros. Those seeds may be a cross since I bought pods and not isolated seed stock. I'm not sure why they have grown so well. One plant only has one pod on it. I till in allot of organic material into the ground in the fall and spring. I never even fertilized them this year. I did spray some epson salt on some peppers once this year. 

Whatever these things are I am going to eat one tonight. They look wicked as hell and I know it's gonna hurt.

One of my favorite peppers. I tried growing a plant from seeds I got from a sfrb. The plant has grown strong and beautiful, but the pods all turned a deep and terrifying red and remind me of a primo. Ah well, next year!

Back