• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Brown Spots - Help

I have a couple of habs growing nicely and they are just starting to ripen. I have noticed that a number of the pods have a single brown spot on them that seems to get larger with time and eventually results in a hole in the pod. Whatever it is it seems to be eating away or killing the wall of the pod. Any idea what this could be???

Have you noticed any insects around it..Sounds like somethings been eating your fruit..or maybe be rot ? :rolleyes:

sounds like blossom rot to me...are you overwatering?...I noticed the same on a bunch of my fruit when I was overwatering but now it has stopped since I have cut drastically back on the water...another option is sunburn...unless you are getting pepper maggots...

They are in an earth box so soil is always moist, but shouldn't be overwater i wouldn't think. If it was overwater I would have thought most of the pods would be affected, not just a handful. I occasionally see bugs - don't know what they are - but there are never very many of them. Makes me mad as they are just starting to ripen!! If I could figure out how to insert a picture i would show you...

since they are spotted and got a hole in them...pick one, cut it open carefully and see if there is a little maggot like worm inside eating...if not, that will eliminate pepper maggots...

here is a link to what they look like...

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/IPM/veg/htms/pmagpics.htm

Baxter said:
If I could figure out how to insert a picture i would show you...

-Register with e.g. Photobucket.com
-Upload your pics to their site
-Copy the IMG code
-Paste it into your message
-Done!

Back