• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

buffalo sauce?

I have a good crop for my first year coming soon. I have a few hot sauces I will be making but would also like to try to make a buffalo wing sauce.

Dies anyone know what give sauces like franks buffalo that signature "Buffalo" taste? Is it something I can make from scratch?

yeh, you can make it, and make it better:) all "buffalo" sauce is hot sauce with butter basicly. So make a sauce that you like, mix some butter with it, and bam! you now have you very own buffalo sauce. You may think of franks when you hear buffalo sauce, because alot of places use it as the base for their sauce. hope that helps

Butter hey? Does this affect. the canning or bottling shelf life? Ive read to steer clear of dairy for those reasons but I assume you could always add butter to your hot sauce as you need it.

PepperDaddler said:
Emulsify oil into the mixture to make it a little thicker.

Yuck. And oil isn't an emulsifier that's why salad dressing separates. Definitely don't need any oil in the sauce.

Oil in your sauce will create an emulsion, like vinegar and oil, that is an emulsion. It then needs an emulsifier so it does not separate. Oil is not an emulsifier. It's one part of an emulsion.

To quote your wiki:

An emulsion is a mixture of two or more liquids that are normally immiscible.

An emulsifier (also known as an "emulgent") is a substance that stabilizes an emulsion.

Emulsions in food are mixtures of oil and water. These normally do not mix and will separate if left without an emulsifier.

PepperDaddler said:
Butter is a better alternative but not too sure of the shelf life it mixed in right away.

Butter is not an alternative to oil, it's how you make traditional buffalo wing sauce. Oil would be the alternative. And yuck.

There's enough oil on the wings.

An emulsification agent can be a surfactant (like detergent, any chemical that alters the way surfaces of liquids interact with one another), or a stabilizer, such as pectin, or in the case of gravy, flour in a roux.  Corn starch or Xanthan gum may be good alternatives, but oen would need to do some research on feasibility.

You could try this, but substitute your favorite hot sauce for franks.  I've used ths with just plain old, generic, cheapest you can buy in bulk, hotsauce and it came out pretty good.
Harold

[SIZE=14pt]Sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 Cup hot sauce (Frank’s Red Hot recommended)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 sticks melted butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 Tsp. lemon juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 tsp. dried basil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 tsp. dehydrated pepper [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 tbsp. Honey[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 tbsp. brown sugar[/SIZE]

I've got some cayennes going and really appreciate this discussion from all the contributors!  Hopefully I'll be able to whip up a good buffalo sauce when they come in!

Back