• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Buffalos Wild Wings "Mango Habanero" hot sauce

The Churchs chicken here is awful. Ive tried it at 3+ locations and all of it was not very good at all. Popeye's has been good at every location but if you want the best in STL, many will say Hodaks is the best. Half a fried chicken, slaw and fries will set you back almost $9..20 pieces, rolls and 3qts worth of sides is around $40

Its good chicken but i will take Popeyes over Hodaks any day of the week. Churches isn't even in the same league :D

ShowMeDaSauce said:
The Churchs chicken here is awful. Ive tried it at 3+ locations and all of it was not very good at all. Popeye's has been good at every location but if you want the best in STL, many will say Hodaks is the best. Half a fried chicken, slaw and fries will set you back almost $9..20 pieces, rolls and 3qts worth of sides is around $40

Its good chicken but i will take Popeyes over Hodaks any day of the week. Churches isn't even in the same league :D

Well, I should mention that it's been 20-25 years since I had Church's, and I would not be surprised that either, or both, I have corruption of my memory in terms of how good it was, and b) their quality could definitely have dropped off considerably over that many years (like so many places)  ...

Cheers!

Sorry to bring this back... not really tho
Can anyone point me to a good copy-cat recipe for BWW MangoHab sauce. Looking for that sticky sweet that I can maybe add my Peach Bhuts to. Thanks

MikeUSMC said:
Maybe. Or maybe some people just know what they like. I like Budweiser too. Doesn't mean I think it's a "great beer." But, I like it. To each their own. 

giphy.gif

The Hot Pepper said:
used to be a fast food joint called Bojangles with good fried chicken and buttermilk... anyone remember?
Yep, my favorite when I lived in NC. Their chicken sandwiches were miles better than Chik-Fil-A

Malarky said:
Can anyone point me to a good copy-cat recipe for BWW MangoHab sauce.
Try this as a starting point, Malarkey. I found this buried in the back of a folder I have from when I first started making sauces a few years ago, lol. I'd be willing to bet that I was looking for a BWW copycat recipe from the Internet when I wrote this down, haha

This is a "refrigerator" sauce, so I wouldn't try bottling it unless I knew the pH. Also, I remember it being very tasty, but severely lacking in the heat department, haha. It only calls for 2 teaspoons of minced habs, so adjust accordingly ;)

IMG_6066.JPG

IMG_6067.JPG

MikeUSMC said:
This is a "refrigerator" sauce, so I wouldn't try bottling it unless I knew the pH. Also, I remember it being very tasty, but severely lacking in the heat department, haha. It only calls for 2 teaspoons of minced habs, so adjust accordingly ;)
So long as my pH is good...(below4) and I cook it hot to kill any bugs, could I waterbath this in pint jars for later?

Malarky said:
So long as my pH is good...(below4) and I cook it hot to kill any bugs, could I waterbath this in pint jars for later?
Don't take this as the last word or anything, but I'm always scared to bottle something with oil in it for fear it will go rancid.

Walchit said:
I won't even comment on the garbage I eat at chain restaurants

I debated on comment, but couldn't resist. It may sound odd but, here goes.

Discounting the sauce (sorry for topical exclusion) but concerning fried chicken, I gotta weigh in.

One of the "perks" of my job allows me free travel within my state (SC.)  In doing so, I often turn to other cops to give advice on where to eat. I've found that generally, cops of any area know the good spots and places where you get the best  "bang for your buck."

I've found in my travels/experiences that places (common denominator) where older black women (African American for the PC crowd) cook the chicken are the best. They might be found in "Podunk" USA in the oddest of places. What I see (in my opinion) from the chains, is a feeble attempt to capture this. A facsimile of a reproduction of a copy...

jhc said:
Don't take this as the last word or anything, but I'm always scared to bottle something with oil in it for fear it will go rancid.
^ This, plus that particular recipe only calls for 1/3C of vinegar, which isn't nearly enough to safely acidfy the other ingredients (mangoes, onion, peppers, etc.)

Edit: you might be able to lower the pH by subbing out the fresh garlic and onion for powder, and presoaking the mango in ACV. Using powder would also eliminate the need for oil, since you won't be sautéing anything. I do remember it thickening up quite a bit in the fridge, so you could always add more ACV than the recipe calls for. Now I've got myself curious. Hmmm......

Pretty much any Asian market has cans of kesar mango pulp and its cheap. Most are already sweetened. Just need some habanero, brown sugar, salt, onion, garlic and vinegar. Thicken with a tapioca starch slurry. Adjust it all by taste. It will darken as it cooks down too or you can add some annatto powder if you want it more red.
51vv1sJ48-L.jpg

I dont add any oils to sauces. Just mix it with a little butter just before making a batch of wings.

Those cans of mango pulp are usually pretty big. Use the leftovers to make yourself a nice mango lassi.
iswmDSC07086%2Bcopy.jpg

MikeUSMC said:
^ This, plus that particular recipe only calls for 1/3C of vinegar, which isn't nearly enough to safely acidfy the other ingredients (mangoes, onion, peppers, etc.)

Edit: you might be able to lower the pH by subbing out the fresh garlic and onion for powder, and presoaking the mango in ACV. Using powder would also eliminate the need for oil, since you won't be sautéing anything. I do remember it thickening up quite a bit in the fridge, so you could always add more ACV than the recipe calls for. Now I've got myself curious. Hmmm......
Only thing to do is try it out and see where my pH is starting out then. :cheers:

Back