• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Bug chewing holes in peppers?

2012-08-22%2016.22.41.jpg

Any idea what kind of bug is doing this? How I can stop it?

I cut it open and it looked fine inside. I had a different one with a hole, cut it open and it looked like it was rotting a bit on the inside, seeds were brown/blackish. I haven't seen any bugs.

Likely a caterpillar of some sort. They tend to leave superhots alone after taking a bite. I probably lose one of every hundred pods to them.

Saw a caterpillar dead hanging off a T-Scorp a few weeks ago. Should have taken a picture - guess the Scorps are hot enough this year!

I had the same issue with my first ripe pod this year, lucky for me it was a super hot and like FG it killed the caterpillar. I have seen a few more with a single hole but nothing inside.

Oh that sucks. I know the feeling well but I ususally come to find just half the dang chili eaten away... I have squirrels...

I'd rather it be a caterpillar than pepper maggot or weevil. My first ripe one of the year was perfect, but every ripe one since has had a small hole in them. Most have been usable though. Thanks guys.

I had this damage to one of the 7pot/scorpion crosses. I looked around for a caterpillar-culprit or any frass--there was none. So I'm tending to think it was some kind of mammal. Any ideas?
550970_10151191616897329_864175407_n.jpg

Ive had major issues with slugs this year due to damp warm weather, the gits seem to really enjoy the occasional young pod in the greenhouse! Especially 7 pots, As a result i have equiped the greenhouse with a small arsenal of kebab sticks, a small tub of salt and a flame throwing lighter for my revenge! Moohahaha

Back