• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Bug I.D.

I've been told by a few, and through my research I agree, that this is a midge. What I can't figure out though is if it's a beneficial or a vector? I have 100's if not thousands of these things around the house and most of them will congregate on my pepper plants. I don't notice any initial damage. If these are indeed a "bad bug" then does anyone have any recommendations on how to get rid of them? If beneficial then I should have the healthiest plants in the world regarding pest free.

A.palliata is my guess-  can't be sure though. I smushed one of these that got in to the kitchen last night so they live around here also but like you, I hadn't noticed them before.

From what I gather, midge may refer to many different types of insects of the Diptera order. Most of them are indifferent as it comes to plants. A few varieties' females are bloodsuckers, but these are the minority. Most varieties the adult stage doesn't even eat.
Chewi said:
A.palliata is my guess-  can't be sure though. I smushed one of these that got in to the kitchen last night so they live around here also but like you, I hadn't noticed them before.

From Wikipedia:

"Mantled howler (A. palliata) - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantled_howler

Wikipedia

The mantled howler (Alouatta palliata), or golden-mantled howling monkey"

*raises eyebrow*  Keep the howlers from Chewi . . .

I've been told by multiple sources that it's a midge. I can't really figure out if that's a bad thing though. I don't see much damage, but there's got to be a reason why they hang out at around my plants. These don't bite moosery. They look like large mosquitoes.

Back